Stenciling Templates And Ribbon

Decorating By lasvegasmommma Updated 13 Nov 2009 , 8:54pm by pippilotta

lasvegasmommma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lasvegasmommma Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 12:38am
post #1 of 10

I am making my brother's wedding cake at the end of December. I am also a bridesmaid, my son is the ringbearer, and my daughter the flower girl. Talk about STRESS!

LOL... I digress.

I am looking into doing some stenciling on his cake, which will be covered in fondant. Howevewr, I have no clue about them... where to buy them, how to use them, what to use them with as far as coloring, etc. I just know that I think they look really cool! HELP! ; ) I also thought I would maybe look into some filigree cutters.

And as for ribbon... what is the best way to make it adhere to a cake? Mine will be fondant, but I am curous about buttercream too. Someone mentioned using glucose? Is that the best way?

Thanks in advance!!!

9 replies
vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 1:02am
post #2 of 10

There is a website that only sells stencils that is called designerstencils. C O M.
global sugar art sells them too. If you want to practice before buying online go to Michael's and check their stencils. I've used them and they are fine too! I just like the pattern on the "cake stencils" better, but you might find one you like there.

No idea how to do the ribbon....

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 1:14am
post #3 of 10

I always just wrap the fondant ribbon on and smooth it gently. I've never had it come off. I agree with Vagostino, practice the stenciling.

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 1:20am
post #4 of 10

I think she means how to apply real ribbon on a fondant or buttercream cake...

LaBellaFlor Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 1:24am
post #5 of 10

Oh. I heard her say mine will be fondant, so I assume she ment a fondant ribbon. dunce.gif You just wrap it around and either pin it or you can use royal icing to attach. As far as placing on buttercream, its the same, BUT theres something you need to do to the ribbon to prevent it from absorbing the grease and for the life of me my mind is drawing a blank.

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 1:27am
post #6 of 10

I think ppl iron the ribbon on waxed paper to transfer the wax onto the ribbon, and put that side against the cake. Others just make the ribbon greasy so its all greasy, not just in spots.

LaBellaFlor Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 1:29am
post #7 of 10

There ya go. Thank you. You can see how often i've used real ribbon in the last few years.

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 1:45am
post #8 of 10

Jenifer Dontz sells the filligree cutters a but well worth the investment! you would use these often.. I know I have! Good luck with your cake.. sounds like you will be one busy bridesmaid! thumbs_up.gif

lasvegasmommma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lasvegasmommma Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:01pm
post #9 of 10

Thank you!!! So, it RI the best way to stencil?

pippilotta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pippilotta Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:54pm
post #10 of 10

I stenciled the pattern on this cake
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1509075 with lightly thinned (wodka) sugarflair paste color. In my opinion this method is so much easier than stenceling with RI...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%