What Is Liquid Glucose?

Decorating By hsmominmo Updated 13 Nov 2009 , 8:05pm by dsilvest

hsmominmo Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 11:49pm
post #1 of 6

OK, so this may be a very basic question - my daughter and I are novice cake decorators. She is enjoys working with fondant and is looking at recipes to try making her own.

But, neither of us has heard of liquid glucose - what is it? where do we find it?

Thanks for any help you can give!

5 replies
idgalpal Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 11:56pm
post #2 of 6

You can find it at Michael's for sure in the cake decorating section right near the Wilton vanilla, etc. It comes in a tub, kind of like sour cream. It's thick and gooey.

hsmominmo Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks for the info icon_smile.gif is it like piping gel? we'll be checking at Michael's then - maybe Hobby Lobby also.

sweetbaker1019 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 6

its not piping gel. its more like corn syrup and its just corn syrup ( not light corn syrup) just regular stuff icon_smile.gif and you can get it at Michaels its buy the extracts! HTH

TexasSugar Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 7:43pm
post #5 of 6

For some recipes you can sub corn syrup for glucose. Glucose is just thicker, but from what I gather is pretty much the same thing.

Wilton's glucose comes in the same type of container that the piping gel comes in, only it has purple on the label instead of orange.

dsilvest Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:05pm
post #6 of 6

If you buy regular (golden) corn syrup it leaves the fondant with a slightly darker hue. If you are able to find light (clear coloured) corn syrup the final product will be lighter. Corn syrup is a lot less expensive that Wilton glucose and works the same.

Quote by @%username% on %date%