Fondant With Tylose

Decorating By evbunt Updated 13 Nov 2009 , 12:16am by kakeladi

evbunt Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 9:32pm
post #1 of 4

Okay, so I am going to attempt my first ribbon and bow for my niece's cake this Sunday. I spent about 5 hours yesterday on this site and watching you tube videos to prepare (and I DID have other work to do) and think I'm ready. But...I have been to grocery stores and to Michaels and couldn't find Tylose. I was going to make MMF like I have been for my accents, but a shopper at Michaels told me that she didn't think MMF would hold up for a big loopy ribbon and she advised me to just buy the Wilton and that if I did it tonight, my ribbons would be ready to assemble onto the cake Sunday morning without any Tylose. I'm already freaked about worried about the effort to get hot pink, I was going to add it to the MMF as it was still liquid, but now...I have no idea.

So, is tylose a must for this or will fondant work okay and do Ihave time to make MMF today (I was under the impression itneeded to sit overnight) or should I use the Wilton? Thanks for your help. Without you guys at this site, I would not be able to be playing with these cakes..well, without this site, I would never have STARTED making cakes, either!

3 replies
Rusti Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 10:21pm
post #2 of 4

The Wilton fondant will be fine for the bow. It doesn't taste great but it will make a good bow. Good Luck!

evbunt Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 10:25pm
post #3 of 4

Ok, thanks! Since I'm really just doing the bow, no one will be eating it. Again, THANK YOU! I'll start now then...

kakeladi Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 12:16am
post #4 of 4

Tylose is only available at cake supply shops (and not all of them) or on-line.

Yes, fondant plain can be used. Or you can add some Wilton GumTex.

Quote by @%username% on %date%