Ribbon On Cream Cheese Frosting, First Wedding Cake

Decorating By Gavriela Updated 17 Nov 2009 , 1:58am by indydebi

Gavriela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gavriela Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 7:50pm
post #1 of 6

I had my first wedding cake consult today, it went very well. The bride and groom really do not know what they want. They did give me a little direction. Here is what we came up with. 4 tier carrot cake with walnut creme filling and decorator cream cheese frosting. Standard bride and groom topper (I have to find one if they do not call by the 18th with one). One single red rose (modeling chocolate). Edible pearls, blue and white, and white scroll work.

Questions:

1. Can I color modeling chocolate and how?

2. Can I put ribbon around the cake and how without pulling all the frosting off?

All of your comments will be greatly appreciated. I feel more confident about this cake, after meeting the very happy couple. They had not even planned on having a wedding cake. What an awesome opportunity!

icon_smile.gif Gavi

5 replies
reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 6

You can color modeling chocolate by using powder food coloring. It can be purchased on most cake decorating sites. Because it is chocolate, you don't want to add any excess moisture to it... hence the powder food coloring.

For the ribbon, I don't think there will be a problem with the icing coming off with it.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 6

Just buy some clear contact paper and put it on the back of the ribbon. Then you just carefully put it around the cake. You can even use frosting to glue it together.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 10:59pm
post #4 of 6

If you're using a crusting icing, apply the ribbon after it's crusted. No wet spots on the ribbon and no problem with it coming off. If not using a crusting icing, you might consider pre-staining the ribbon (spray with pam or rub crisco down the entire length of the ribbon) so it will stain uniformly. Caution: this can change the color so test it first .... navy blue ribbon will turn black under this method.

Quote:
Quote:

Standard bride and groom topper (I have to find one if they do not call by the 18th with one).

Are you kidding me? icon_eek.gif They're going to TRY to find a topper .... but if they CAN'T find one, ".....oh well no problem, we'll dump that issue in the cake lady's lap and let HER run all over town trying to find one! Then if she can't find one, we can b*tch and complain and demand a refund because she RUINED our wedding day by not getting what we couldn't find either!" icon_eek.gif

If you're going to be a personal shopper for these people, be sure you charge appropriately for your time. I bill my time at $100/hour.

Gavriela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gavriela Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 1:43am
post #5 of 6

Thank you for all your help.

The frosting is decorator cream cheese, and the ribbon will be a blue of some sort, so I will apply contact paper to the back of it and may pre stain it.
As for a topper, if they have not found one, I am already going to a wedding shoppe and will pick up a basic bride and groom. (I really hope they find one on their own as this should be a special keepsake).

I did pick up some red melts and green melts today to start the chocolate rose. I'm excited, it will be fun.

The really cool thing is they can't run "the cake lady" all over town, as there are NO stores in our area to fill their needs. So they will eaither have one or they won't. They can always have the rose as a topper if all else fails.

The contract is all filled out and signed. I'll even make some money on this cake.... Whooohhoooo This can be fun!

Gavi

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 1:58am
post #6 of 6

[quote="Gavriela"]The really cool thing is they can't run "the cake lady" all over town, as there are NO stores in our area to fill their needs. So they will eaither have one or they won't. They can always have the rose as a topper if all else fails. /quote]
icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Sounds like a plan! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%