Fondant Experts Please!!

Decorating By LauraF Updated 12 Nov 2009 , 11:11pm by LauraF

LauraF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LauraF Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 11

Question on fondant and MMF in general Can I do this in a food processer w/ dough blade, instead of Kitchen Aid? I ask, because I dont have a KA and am stuck buying Wilton fondant. I honestly don't mind the Wilton product, since I flavor it appropriately, but would like to make my own.

10 replies
ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 8:09pm
post #2 of 11

I do my fondant by hand, I mean I kneed it by hand from the beginning, it is not that tough, and I like the texture. But if you make fondant very often, you could use KA. I am not sure of a food processor.

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 8:14pm
post #3 of 11

I don't use my KA for making fondant either. I just kneed it by hand. I doubt a food processor would work, unless you are making a small batch of fondant (well, unless you have a much bigger food processor).

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 8:21pm
post #4 of 11

? I don't understand why you can't do it by hand?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 8:42pm
post #5 of 11

I think it could get really messy. I have an older fondant recipe with directions for making it in the food processor. I tried it and it was almost impossible to get it out of the machine...not to mention, there was nothing in it to make it stretch and back then I didn't know enough about fondant to know the recipe wouldn't work. Anyhow, I think marshmallow fondant would be even messier to try by hand.

I've thought about making it in the bread machine, but my bread machine sometimes sheds a bit of grease around the base of the blade.

It's not really too difficult to make by hand, just gross having to put your hands in all that warm sticky stuff.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 9:00pm
post #6 of 11

When I make my MMF I add the shortening to the marshmallows when I am melting them. I do not grease the bowl or my hands. I add about 4 cups of the ps and stir it in. I then put about 2 - 3 cups of ps on the counter, pour the marshmallow mixture on top and fold the sugar in. This way my hands do not get covered with the sticky mixture. I let it sit 24 hours and check to see if it need more ps. Very little mess and done quite quickly.

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 9:05pm
post #7 of 11

I do it by hand, is not hard, you don't need to use a lot of arm strength since it'll be very soft and pliable when warm.

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 9:05pm
post #8 of 11

Making MMf is NOT that messy by hand. Grease your bowl, spatula and surface really well. Pour about half or more of the PS onto the greased surface then make a well in the center. Mix some of the PS into the melted marshmallows then pour the mixture into the well. Grease your hands and start kneading, knead until it won't accept anymore sugar. The whole process from start to finish only takes about 10 minutes.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 9:12pm
post #9 of 11

Wear gloves, too. cuts down on even more mess. I personally love making fondant. I find it relaxes me a bit. Super easy, too.

Denae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denae Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 9:16pm
post #10 of 11

if you think it's too tough to start off...i put mine in the microwave for like 30 sec and then i kneed it with crisco on my hands...turns out great. and i use satin ice.

LauraF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LauraF Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 11:11pm
post #11 of 11

Many many thanks to all ... I know you must get tired of answering basic questions from the newbies. I'm going to try it by hand, you've all convinced me that I can do it! icon_smile.gif

I just asked about the food processor just in case anyone had tried and would recommend yay or nay. icon_smile.gif

Thanks again, I'm loving navigating around this website with my fellow cake enthusiasts!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%