Fondant And Perishable Filling!!! What To Do??

Decorating By vuco Updated 12 Nov 2009 , 10:53pm by vuco

vuco Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 6:57pm
post #1 of 4

Ok, I have a client that would like a 2 tier cake for graduation. Would like a praline filling. Found several awesome receipes on here BUT if I need to refrigerate this cake because of the filling and it has fondant accents on buttercream will I ultimately lead to disaster with the fondant sweating and falling off??? I want to give them what they want which is a praline filling plus I haven't done that type of filling before so I am eager to try. ANY AND ALL AWESOME BAKERS AND CAKE DECORATORS OUT THERE PLEASE RESPOND.

Also, if you make the WASC, do you have to refrigerate it since it has sour cream in it or is it considered "cooked"???
Please help! icon_cry.gif

3 replies
__Jamie__ Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by vuco

Ok, I have a client that would like a 2 tier cake for graduation. Would like a praline filling. Found several awesome receipes on here BUT if I need to refrigerate this cake because of the filling and it has fondant accents on buttercream will I ultimately lead to disaster with the fondant sweating and falling off???

I refrigerate all cakes regardless of filling. I work better with a chilled cake, and I take a long time with detailing and perfecting. Just easier for me. There is nothing wrong with a fondant cake sweating when it comes out of fridge. It's science-it's gonna do it. What you need to do-is leave it alone. Step away from the cake. Aim a fan at it, and let it do it's thing until it isn't "wet" anymore. It will be fine when it comes to room temp. Now, that said, if you have large heavy fondant pieces on it, that may droop, then don't put those on until you're ready to deliver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuco

Also, if you make the WASC, do you have to refrigerate it since it has sour cream in it or is it considered "cooked"???
Please help! icon_cry.gif

Yes-it's cooked.

tguegirl Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 7:50pm
post #3 of 4

WASC doesn't have to be refrigerated. This cake shouldn't sweat too badly because it's buttercream with only fondant accents. Try putting some buttercream on a plate and adding some fondant details (you can also just put a ball of fondant in your fridge for future reference for all fondant cakes). See if it sweats. If it doesn't, you're good to go!

vuco Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 10:53pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you guys sooooo much!!! The design I am adding to it is a ruler around the base of each tier. And with all that writing of measurements on it is what had me concerned.
You guys rock!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%