I Can't Stand Making Red Buttercream!!!

Decorating By TPACakeGirl Updated 12 Nov 2009 , 9:49pm by linstead

TPACakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPACakeGirl Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 17

I just wanted to share my frustration. I have to make a firetruck next month, and I wanted to make sure I could make the red but not lose the consistency of the buttercream. Last night, I used 1 1/2 jars of Wilton "No Taste Red," along with Americolor Red Red and Super Red. The frosting finally turned the color I wanted, but the frosting isn't stiff. I'm wondering if it will hold up? I'm going to make a mini truck this weekend to test it. If it's not good, does anyone know a better way to make the red? I actually mixed the color into the frosting with my stand mixer.

16 replies
KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 17

two words of advise....."Sams Club"

If I never have to make red or black buttercream again it will be too soon!! And even though green is not too tough to make, I buy that one too since it is one of our local school colors and I use it a lot.

Even though the closest Sam's Club is a 3 hour drive it is worth every mile to buy their pre-colored But-R-Cream from the bakery. If you ever get a chance to try it - GO FOR IT.

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 6:41pm
post #3 of 17

I always buy mine from the cake decorating supply store or you can buy it from Sam's!!

I used to make it, but; it drove me crazy, so, I just buy it!! If you really want to make it, you can try coloring the BC orange first, then try adding red. HTH icon_smile.gif

TPACakeGirl Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 6:43pm
post #4 of 17

So I just go to SAMS and purchase this from the bakery section? They will sell it to me?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 17

It does sound like a lot of color added but how much icing were you coloring at one time?
If you start w/a base of pink, yellow or orange it will take *far* less paste/gel color. Also for red, one can use any flavor red KoolAid powder to help the color process - really works well & flavors the icing icon_smile.gif

Always use color that has 'super' in the title. Wilton's no-taste is a waste of time & money! AmeriColor super red or any super red liquid paste works far better.

KathyTW Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 7:02pm
post #6 of 17

Yes they will, you just ask someone behind the counter. Also, if you do a search here at CC for sams club buttercream and you should be able to fnd a great post with a listing of most of the items that you can buy at Sams (boxes, decorations, etc)

Some people have had a little trouble at first because some employees don't know that they can sell this stuff - just ask for the manager if you have to.

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 7:27pm
post #7 of 17

When I make red icing, I color the icing pink first. Then cover it and let it sit for a day, then use Americolor Super Red. I get a nice deep red color every time without adding tons of coloring or altering the taste and consistency of my icing.

mariej162 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariej162 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 7:31pm
post #8 of 17

For red icing I use Americolor super red and red red without using lots of color

TPACakeGirl Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 8:00pm
post #9 of 17

Can I purchase this at SAMS even if I don't have a membership? It's my back up in case that red I made last night has a bad consistency when I take it out of the refrigerator. I wish kids liked fondant. I made a great red colored fondant last night. That would be perfect, and I think it would make a better looking firetruck.

KathyTW Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 8:13pm
post #10 of 17

Yes...you can purchase without being a member - just go to the service counter and ask for a guest pass...you pay 10% more than member cost.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 8:25pm
post #11 of 17

One thing I love about teaching the Wilton classes is my students come back in and tell me things they tried. One of my students came in and gave me a good tip for red buttercream. Instead of using water in the icing recipe, the subed in the liquid red food coloring you buy at Walmart. I think McCormick makes some and it comes in a 2oz bottle. They used that in place of the water, got a great red color and it didn't thin out the icing since they didn't add anything extra too it. If it isn't red enough for you you can always add in some more red color paste and still wouldn't be adding as much as if you started with white icing.

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 8:43pm
post #12 of 17

All these tips are really great. Another idea that I have used in past (usually though only when I don't need that much red) is to buy a couple o tubes of Wilton Red frosting. Cut open the tube and scrape out into bowl. Now add more sugar and maybe some of the other red colorings and you can get a pretty good red icing that way.

teensybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teensybaker Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 9:08pm
post #13 of 17

So, I have a Sam's Membership, this is wonderful news. But quantity wise...are they gonna give me like five gallon tubs of the stuff or like a moderate portion? Let's face it I do not have a commercial fridge in my apartment! (if only)
All in all, how much do they charge and what quantity is the icing sold in?

KathyTW Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 9:13pm
post #14 of 17

The containers I get are 8 lbs....it's about the size of the large tub of ice cream. I think it was between $14-$18

teensybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teensybaker Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 9:31pm
post #15 of 17

I AM JUST EXCITED TO HEAR ABOUT THIS... I HAVE ONE MORE QUESTION...
HOW LONG DOES THE STUFF STAY GOOD IN THE FRIDGE?

KathyTW Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 9:44pm
post #16 of 17

A long time!! I just cover mine with plastic wrap so the air doesn't get to it.

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 9:49pm
post #17 of 17

Tupperware! - it will last months icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%