How Do You Stack A 16" Square And Not Break It?

Decorating By LeckieAnne Updated 14 Nov 2009 , 5:22am by LeckieAnne

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 6:14pm
post #1 of 9

We're going to fill and stack a wedding cake tonight (I hate doing wedding cakes, they way stress me out!) - after dam'ing and filling, how do you put the next 16" layer on without breaking it?

Thought about doing it still frozen then wrapping back up to thaw will the filling in. Would that be ok? Easier to maneuver frozen I would think. Then ice it tomorrow morning after it's thawed?

8 replies
TPACakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPACakeGirl Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 6:24pm
post #2 of 9

I use slide something under one side depending on how large the cake is and hold the other side with my hand. I've used a bench scraper all the way up to a cookie sheet. I then line the cake up with the bottom cake and drop the top cake onto the bottom one.

dogwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogwood Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 6:32pm
post #3 of 9

I freeze it first. Makes it much easier to handle. icon_smile.gif

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:01am
post #4 of 9

i use a cookie sheet that doesn't have any sides, just sprinkle a bit of cornstarch on the sheet and slide it under the layer that is chilled but not frozen.

sweetreasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetreasures Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:59am
post #5 of 9

I use cookie sheets too. I've also used cake boards that are larger than the cake itself

LeckieAnne Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 6:03am
post #6 of 9

I used a cake board to help while the layers were frozen, worked great.

But I wrapped them up filled and still frozen with glad press-n-seal freezer wrap. Hopefully they won't get soggy or anything while they defrost. We plan to ice them tomorrow. I freeze cake all the time, but I've never unwrapped them, filled them, and then let them thaw. I guess we'll see. Cross your fingers for me!

Thanks all!

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 6:21pm
post #7 of 9

I fill and ice frozen cakes all the time. I freeze them hot from the oven and then fill and ice them straight from the freezer. It takes bc longer to set up and crust but I really feel like it seals in moistness.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 11:32pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeckieAnne

We're going to fill and stack a wedding cake tonight (I hate doing wedding cakes, they way stress me out!) - after dam'ing and filling, how do you put the next 16" layer on without breaking it?

Thought about doing it still frozen then wrapping back up to thaw will the filling in. Would that be ok? Easier to maneuver frozen I would think. Then ice it tomorrow morning after it's thawed?

Here's how I do it.

1. Bake, level and torte into layer.
2. Wrap layers in plastic and freeze.
3. Fill and crumb coat tiers [usually 4 layers of cake per tier]
4. Refrigerate overnight.
5. Ice and smooth.
6. Back into the cooler when not in use.
7. After any piping is done, the cake are back into the cooler until soild
8. Dowel and stack. Pipe borders.
9. Add GP flowers is needed.
10. Into the cooler until delivery time.

LeckieAnne Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 5:22am
post #9 of 9

In case anyone is curious -- stacking the cake frozen was easy since less chance of breaking the large layers - we wrapped them back up with the glad press-n-seal and let them thaw overnight. Didn't seem to dry out or sweat or anything. Worked like a charm!

Thanks everyone for your help - as always! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%