My First Real Disaster... Can This Be Saved??

Decorating By krm52200 Updated 5 Dec 2009 , 12:45pm by aundrea

krm52200 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krm52200 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 13

This morning's project/disaster was a chocolate cake. I just went to check it with a toothpick and it came out looking oily. After a moment of wondering why, it occurred to me...I used 4 sticks of butter instead of 2. I have no idea what the heck I was thinking, obviously I wasn't thinking. So now its sitting on my counter cooling. Any chance this thing will still be edible?

Thankfully its not for a client, just taking it to a friends house for dessert. I guess I will taste the crumbs when I level it and see how it is!

12 replies
2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:54pm
post #2 of 13

If it comes out in a brownie consistency - you could serve it with ice cream and hot fudge sauce! I hope you can salvage it - It can get pretty pricey making cakes.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:58pm
post #3 of 13

I was going to suggest leveling it and tasting some, but you already had that figured out. It will probably be ok, but that way you'll know for sure.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 6:01pm
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTFundraiser

If it comes out in a brownie consistency - you could serve it with ice cream and hot fudge sauce! I hope you can salvage it - It can get pretty pricey making cakes.

A fantastic idea!!! thumbs_up.gif

krm52200 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 6:03pm
post #5 of 13

thanks for the support. I like the ice cream idea but it was supposed to be decorated in a poker theme for my friend's birthday so that won't work!

At least I figured out what I did. I had my 3 year old "helping" me. He kept opening the butter sticks and I just kept putting them in. This is why I work alone. icon_redface.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 6:13pm
post #6 of 13

You can still decorate a brownie. You can make a FBCT or pipe w/b'cream. I've decorated 1,000s of cookiesicon_smile.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 5:06pm
post #7 of 13

What happened? Did you try it out?

krm52200 Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 7:14pm
post #8 of 13

yes, I sampled it when I split and leveled it. It didn't taste bad, but the center was so moist I was afraid it wouldn't hold up well after being filled with mousse. So I pitched it and started over. If I was just making it for family to have at home, I probably would have just gone with it but I couldn't stand the idea of bringing something like that to a friend for his birthday. On the plus side, the poker theme came out great! I will post the picture in my gallery.

Thanks for the help and support icon_smile.gif

totallycaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
totallycaked Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 7:38pm
post #9 of 13

I would go to the grocery store and just buy a sheet cake.. scrape off the thier frosting and do what you want... your joy is decorating it for your friend right.....well just this time... wont hurt icon_smile.gif have fun

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 3:59am
post #10 of 13

Sorry you had to chuck it out. In the future, I would save it and make a trifle. I use my cake bits this way all the time. And you can do many different versions/ themes. I recently did a WASC fish cake that was too small to feed everyone, so I used my WASC cake bits and made a cherry almond WASC trifle to go along with the cake- so tasty! Oh, and to keep with the theme, I put little fishies covered in choc (orange choc melts to match the cake) on top !

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 1:44am
post #11 of 13

Sorry about the cake, but on the plus side your cake turned out good. I'm sure your friend really liked it.

Angells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angells Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 11:10am
post #12 of 13

Thanks for posting your dilemma. It helps to see others who make mistakes. I have had my share of them. I did kind of chuckle. though. I find that when I am overtired, trying to finish something before taking a break, or involved in more than the item at hand, I start making mistakes. Stupid ones. Almost all preventable ones. So, I am 'trying' not to do too many things at once and to minimize distractions.
A 2yr old was 'helping' me bake. She was sooo cute. I had her in a 'special' area. Then her mother gave her a soda and she got loose. In an instant her mother retrieved her, but in the retrieval the soda went all over a computer laptop keyboard and ruined the laptop. I know I shouldn't have had the laptop around, but we were viewing cake photos and I only left it for a second.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 12:45pm
post #13 of 13

i just saw your cake and it looks great. glad you re-made the cake so you are at ease with the results.
tonight i had a similar problem (actually it was last night -im going to bed now)
i was on the phone with the person who this cake is for-and i know I CANT TALK ON THE PHONE AND BAKE AT THE SAME TIME! ugh--so for my yellow tiers i swear i only added 1 cup of flour and sugar instead of two.
my chocolate tiers are fine but my yellow dont taste as sweet as i like and im missing the dense-ness i like when stacking tiers.
but i have no extra ingredients, or time to re-do 4 cakes.
im so frustrated. this cake is for my friends grandaughters first birthday and i wanted it to come out right.
and this is just in the baking, god help me later today when i start decorating.
well thats my rant......glad you had a good end result!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%