Wasc Question

Decorating By cjford Updated 13 Nov 2009 , 2:09pm by cjford

cjford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjford Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 9

I made this cake for the first time yesterday for my cake decorating class tonight. I have left over batter so I made cupcakes. My taste tester (DH) said it was good but tasted 'rubbery'. It that the how the texture's supposed to be or did I do something wrong? I think I may have left them in the oven a little to long. I have so much trouble knowing when cake is ready to come out. Any advice/suggestions are appreciated. TIA!!!

8 replies
grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 6:04pm
post #2 of 9

I have seen a couple of folks on this forum call the WASC "gummy" and now your DH calls it "rubbery". Mine come out smooth and evenly textured, and what I would call a "dense" cake. But not gummy or rubbery. But not dry either.

I always use an instant read thermometer and bake the WASC until it reaches somewhere between 205 and 209, usually closer to 209. I would cook to the same temperature for cupcakes if I were to use that batter.

PTBUGZY1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTBUGZY1 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 9

cjford......I know what you mean. I make the WASC cake and love it, but when I have made cupcakes with it it's not the same so I am looking for a nice vanillacupcake recipe. After saying that when I do the choc version of the WASC and make cupckaes they are fine. Maybe it's my oven or some other reason.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 6:19pm
post #4 of 9

Which WASC recipe did you use? ...... NO 'rubbery' is not how it should be icon_sad.gif
As for knowing when a cake is done......use your noseicon_smile.gif If you can smell that wonderful aroma all thru the kitchen (house?) they certainly are done.
It should not pull away from the sides of the pan. Touch the center of the cake lightly - if it springs back it is done. If it stays depressed it needs more baking.
Cupcakes take *much* less baking time because there is less batter to cook. You should be able to look at the tops of ccs and tell if they look wet or dry. Check them after 10 minutes in the oven.

cjford Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks everyone. I used the 'original' WASC recipe. We will try the cake after class tonight and see if it has a different texture.

Kakeladi, thanks for the cc tip. I will check them sooner.

sammie192 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sammie192 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 6:48pm
post #6 of 9

If it does pull a way from the side its not done? or does that mine something is wrong bake to long?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 8:06pm
post #7 of 9

When it pulls away from the sides that could be a sign you cooked it too long.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 9:31pm
post #8 of 9

I used the WASC original and the WASC Amazing chocolate recipe for cupcakes in the last two weeks. The only one that was gummy was the Chocolate one and that was before I figured out I had left out the cup of water. I remade them and they came out perfectly but the one thing I did notice was after they cooled the cake was a little sticky. If the cupcakes were touching they'd stick a little to each other. But the yellow ones didn't do this, just the chocolate..and they both tasted great.

cjford Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:09pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks again everyone. We tasted the cake last night and it does taste a different from the cupcakes. I don't think my DH is really used to a 'dense' cake but I loved it. I thought it tasted like wedding cake. I can't wait to try the different flavors like french vanilla, lemon, strawberry, etc.

Does anyone know of a good not so dense recipe? Would a not so dense cake be just as easy to decorate?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%