Nervous!!

Business By Kerrym Updated 15 Nov 2009 , 2:14pm by JenniferMI

Kerrym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerrym Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone!!
I have been lurking on the forum for a few months now and I love it!! You guys here are awesome. I have been thinking about starting my own cake pop business. I am lucky because I live in a state that allows residential kitchens. Every time I get ready to call the health department for an inspection I get freaked out!! I know I meet all the requirements but I was wondering if any of you with residential kitchens had to show a cleaning schedule and a flow of food plan. My Serve Safe instructor suggested that I have those on hand for the inspector. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Kerry

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:36pm
post #2 of 6

Nah. ServeSafe is a great course but doesn't really apply to home kitchens all that well. I made a full plan for my home kitchen also, when I was in culinary school, and basically my instructor said, "You know you can't show that to your HD inspector, right? 'Cause then you'll be graded on THOSE standards, not the regular standards." So onto the shelf it went.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 6

The hardest thing was me having to type out my recipes and procedures. Yeah, I can be lazy. But the actual inspection part was easy. I think they get more concerned when there are pets. And to be honest I notice all inspectors are a little different. But good luck. I'm sure it will work out fine AND it's great that you are starting out the right way. thumbs_up.gif

Kerrym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerrym Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 11:41pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you so much for your replies.
LaBellaFlor- I feel that by starting the right way is the best way. Karma.

I am so excited to learn more about all of you and all the great information that is in this forum!!

Take care
Kerry

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 11:27pm
post #5 of 6

My inspectors were pretty picky. They even came back to make sure I had "fixed" some of the things they initially didn't like (like caulking all the baseboards and air vents....seriously). I agree that the most timely and annoying part of the process was writing down all my recipes, ingredients (including listing all ingredients ingredients....so listing all things in a box mix, sour cream, etc.), and then submitting them to be approved. I still have some recipes I have since added to my menu that need to be approved, but I'm lazy when it comes to that......okay, that's on my To Do list first thing next week! LOL!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 2:14pm
post #6 of 6

The inspectors will tell you what you need, what they want. Don't fret, wait and talk to the professionals. It's their job to work with you...

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%