Lorann Oils

Baking By krm52200 Updated 12 Nov 2009 , 7:22pm by CookieMeister

krm52200 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krm52200 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 8

I was thinking of using Lorann oils to flavor fondant. I know these are very strong. Does anyone know about how much I should add to one batch of MMF? Also, can I use it to flavor buttercream as well? If so, how much would I use for that?

Thanks in advance,

Kelly

7 replies
mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 8

I use Lorann oils all the time in my MMF and BC. I have some small droppers that I got at Hobby Lobby, and I use them to add the oils. I think I usually use about 5 drops, but it depends on the flavor that I'm using, sometimes it is more. It's a personal preference I think. Try to get the droppers and then just start small and increase to your taste preference.

OMGitsaLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OMGitsaLisa Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 8

I've used it to flavor both buttercream and fondant. How much you need varies by flavor, so I would start with a couple of drops and go from there. 4 drops of the keoke coffee flavor COMPLETELY overpowered my chocolate buttercream, while nearly half a bottle of the orange cream flavor was still sort of faint in another batch of buttercream. Unfortunately, you'll just have to experiment or find someone who has used the same flavor you have in the same application that you have. It's tricky.

Just start with a few drops and see how it tastes.

krm52200 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:13pm
post #4 of 8

thanks for your replies. I bought the irish cream flavor and plan to use it in MMF and frosting on a devil's chocolate cake. I'm so glad I asked, though, I was thinking I would be starting with teaspoons not drops! I will just experiment with it and see how it goes. I'm not looking for a strong flavor, just enough to make the frosting and MMF taste like something besides sugar icon_smile.gif

Thanks again.

mgwebb68 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:20pm
post #5 of 8

when I use the oils, that's all I'm going for too. Just to add a little flavor to cut the "sugar" taste.

Definitely drops though. Some of the flavors can be overpowering. Strawberry for one. I flavored some white chocolate with strawberry oil, to cover some cookies, all you had to do was walk by the cookies and you could smell them.

Each flavor is different. I find that I need more in my MMF than I do in my BC. But that's just my preference.

krm52200 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:26pm
post #6 of 8

mgwebb68 - thats too funny with the cookies. I think that would have definitely happened today if I didn't decide to post and ask for help!

when do you add the oil? do you mix it in while your making your fondant/frosting or do add it at the end?

thanks again!

mgwebb68 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:31pm
post #7 of 8

I add the oil to the melted marshmallows when I'm making the fondant.
I add it in to the BC before I had the PS so that I can get it incorporated and not whip too much air in my BC. As for the BC you can always add more at the end if you think you need it. The fondant would be a little harder to get the flavor distributed if you waited until the end. I'm sure you could do it, but it would be tricky to get it distributed evenly.

Seriously, my kitchen smelled like strawberries the whole time those cookies were there, then my truck smelled like strawberries for a couple of days just from taking the cookies to my parents house.

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 7:22pm
post #8 of 8

I agree that you have to play with it. I made the mistake the first time I tried it of adding the whole bottle to a batch of Michele Foster's fondant. It was caramel, and OMG. . . waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much.

Now I find it depends on the flavor. My favorite to use is the cotton candy flavor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%