Any Tips To Prevent B/c Scrolls From Falling Off B/c Cake?

Decorating By charleezgal Updated 13 Nov 2009 , 1:59pm by khoudek

charleezgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleezgal Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:17pm
post #1 of 13

I'm doing a wedding cake this weekend that is all buttercream with buttercream scrolls. I am using Wilton's black icing tube (the one you can put your own tips on)

I did this a few months ago and delivered it the day before the event. It looked great. The next day, however, I noticed that some of the scrolls just fell off, or came loose from the cake.

Are there any tips or tricks someone could tell me about to prevent this from happening again?

12 replies
natou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
natou Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 13

I used only this tube icing before and I though it was too dry, that is probably the reason it doesn't it didn't stayed on cake once it dried it was not enough "sticky".

charleezgal Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:44pm
post #3 of 13

Hmm,

Well, I need really jet black icing for this. The color is perfect in the tube. Only parts of it fell off. It was the first time I had ever done this sort of cake. Below is a picture. I wondered if it was because I didn't press the tip against the cake hard enough so it didn't really get to be attatched.

What do you use?
LL

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 6:04pm
post #4 of 13

It's the icing formula. If you mix that black icing w/ about a 1/2 cup of dark blue or brown icing it will *still* be jet black - really!
Those tubes of colored icing is sooooooo saturated w/color the extra icing won't effect the color and will provide a much more workable icing that won 't fall off.

charleezgal Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 6:43pm
post #5 of 13

So your suggestion is to maybe cut the top of the tube open and squeeze out all of the black icing into a bowl or bag, add 1/2 cup of my homemade frosting and then put it in my own deco bag and pipe from there?

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 13

I would recommend the same as kakeladi...the consistancy of the tube icing needs to be a little bit thinner and smoother for it to "stick" to the cake...I had this happen once with my own icing even....but when I used just a touch of water and put it back into the bag it was perfect...I wouldn't suggest water for you since you are doing black though....

Good luck!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 7:08pm
post #7 of 13

Add a teaspoon of piping gel to the icing. As others have said, Wilton's black icing is really stiff. The piping gel with thin it down a bit, making it easier to pipe and making it adhere to the cake.

charleezgal Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:26am
post #8 of 13

Thats a great idea but i don't have any piping gel on hand, is there any substitute i could use?

Thanks for all the ideas

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 3:41am
post #9 of 13

isn't piping gel karo syrup, i thought i read it on the container

charleezgal Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 3:43am
post #10 of 13

I do have Karo syrup. Thanks a bunch!

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 12:25pm
post #11 of 13

there is a recipe for piping gel in the recipe section...I think it has other ingredients in it...it may not work witht just the Karo Syrup

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 12:33pm
post #12 of 13

The tube icing just doesn't stick to anything really well. It's just so thick.

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 1:59pm
post #13 of 13

I'm not sure if this will help you, but when I want a deep black I start out with chocolate buttercream. The deep brown of the chocolate seems to help darken the black better. That way maybe you won't have to buy the Wilton tubes. Black is a difficult color for sure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%