Fondant Checkerboard Pattern

Decorating By TrisCorey Updated 13 Nov 2009 , 10:08am by deliciously_decadent

TrisCorey Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 3

My daughter wants a black and white checkerboard pattern on a round tiered birthday cake. Does anyone know the best way to do this? Do I start at the top or bottom and how do I keep it even? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. icon_biggrin.gif

2 replies
cakesrock Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:21pm
post #2 of 3

You could paint it - I would think that may be easier. Or use a printed wafer paper (though expensive)...(someone suggested to me for tartan)

http://www.fancyflours.com/holiday-plaid-and-houndstooth.html

If you can't find the right pattern, then you could take a photo (or a print off the internet) of a checkerboard and have it printed onto a sheet of rice/wafter paper at a cake decorating store. I know they'll do a tartan pattern for me, but it's $24 for a 7X10- not cheap! But if you buy fondant, then this could end up about the same price, as you'd use BC under it, I understand. Good luck!

deliciously_decadent Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 10:08am
post #3 of 3

start at the top edge then work your way in to the center and down from the edge, this way you have a perfect line going around the most visible edge, i cover in white and add black squares (turned on there sides) i do many topsy cakes and checkers are a big part

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%