Sugar Ice Cubes From Knox Gelatine??

Sugar Work By Normita Updated 30 Nov 2009 , 8:57pm by kimberlychapman

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 6:08am
post #1 of 4

I think I have read before that you can use knox gelatine to make sugar ice...I am not sure if this is possible?? I am making sugar beer bottles and I want to know if by using the knox gelatine will get the ice clearer than with sugar and corn syrup since I cant get a hold of isomalt. Also, I have heard a lot about everclear...what is it and where do I buy it??

3 replies
Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:22am
post #2 of 4

Heeeellloooo....anybody out there!!

bakingshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingshell Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 9:01am
post #3 of 4

as far as i know you can actually get isomalt from your local cake store. also i know knox gelatin will only make it look like ice but it will not get hard. i will be like jello. if you go onto youtube you will see where someone actually took the sugar that they were using for the bottle and poured it over some wrinkled aluminum foil and let it harden that way and i thought it was very nice looking ice afterwards.

this is where i saw how to make it
hope it helps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjTvSQezy0I&feature=related

kimberlychapman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberlychapman Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 4

Knox gelatin can get hard, but it takes an extremely dry environment and lots of time. Plus, it'll suck itself inward.

I did a test years ago by making a blob in an ice cube tray and then sat it on the counter to see what would happen. This is when I lived in Las Vegas, so, total desert. After several weeks it was as hard as a rock, but all the sides were slightly concave.

I have no idea how long it would take outside of the desert, or if it would harden at all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%