Please Help Me Decide What To Make For A Competition.

Decorating By MrsNancyB1 Updated 12 Nov 2009 , 6:00pm by MrsNancyB1

MrsNancyB1 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:41am
post #1 of 6

I am entering my first competition in March, and I will be entering as an amateur. Anyways, originally I thought it was best to really push my limits and try to do something *really* challenging. I wanted to make a beach scene with lots of different people figures, chairs, umbrellas, lifeguard etc. Well, tonight I started my first figure and realized it would be difficult to get them to wear swimsuits, because it didn't allow for much coverage of mistakes or joins or the like.

Now I'm a little discouraged, and trying to figure something out. I want something that will 'wow' the judges. I say I'm going for fun, but a part of me would be absolutely thrilled if I won. I want to try something that might give me a chance to win.

ANY ideas??? My well is running dry at the moment. icon_lol.gif

Thanks!

5 replies
letsgetcaking Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 12:58pm
post #2 of 6
all4cake Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 1:25pm
post #3 of 6

letsgetcaking, that is a great idea(for anyone actually)!

...like the boardwalk scene in the old movies and pictures...

wrightway777 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 1:47pm
post #4 of 6

The 1920's idea is totally cool! Add Art deco touches to the cake.
- look at Jackie's latest blog post (from cc home page) from the OSSAS for inspiration too (the winners pics)
get the "people molds" if you dont already have them. I would love to get the expensive ones but I have the cheapy ones and made really like like characters. They can both be found on the "s" site (pm me if you dont know what I am talking about).
For beach sand mix: graham cracker crumbs, white sugar, natural sugar and white sparkles (different textures look great together - saw this combo on Amazing Cakes)...I think they may have added a little brown sugar too...cant be certain
- I love gumpaste adirondacks (theres a mold out there for it online somewhere), beachballs, and surfboards stuck upright in the sand
- Do a really cool 3D sail boat (yep theres a mold out there too for that if needed)
- incorporate a poured sugar blue water effect (scores difficulty points with judges), matter of fact try to do as many different techniques as you can (given the look is good together)....buy some Isomalt for this
- do a search on this site for "beach" and you will find 131 pages full of pics for ideas!!!
- OH! Maybe you could do a Hawaiian beach theme so you can incorporate tropical gumpaste flowers, tikki huts, etc

all4cake Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:00pm
post #5 of 6

I was thinking...Coney Island beach late 1800's - early 1900's

MrsNancyB1 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 6:00pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%