Keeping Cake Board Clean

Decorating By michaelj0103 Updated 12 Nov 2009 , 10:43am by jakky

michaelj0103 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:36am
post #1 of 4

I am having the worst time keeping my cake board clean. Presentation means so much. A cake board with smeared and dried icing is not presentable. Does anyone have any suggestions how to keep the cake board clean during crumb coat and final coat of buttercream?

I thought about placing wax paper or parchment under the cake, then trimming it as close as possible before piping the bottom trim.

Help!!!

3 replies
grandmom Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 10:03am
post #2 of 4

My last cake was done out of my preferred order. I like to cover the cake base in fondant, let it dry, decorate the cake, move cake to fondant-covered base. But the cake was heavy, I am arthritic (and clumsy), so I had DH help me move the fondant-covered cake to the fondant-covered base before he left for work, but I had not decorated the cake yet.

Worried about messing up the pretty white base, I cut a piece of parchment the shape of and slightly larger than the base, in this case, approximately 16" round to cover 15" base. Then I cut a circle out of the middle of this parchment round, using the cake pan as a template. I opened the ring by cutting from outer edge to inner edge, just once. I carefully placed the parchment ring around the cake, over the base, then using masking tape, closed the ring and taped the edges to the underside of the base.

It kinda looked like a toilet-seat cover! After decorating and before adding the bottom border, I removed it. Voila!! Perfectly clean cake base!!

Caths_Cakes Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 10:29am
post #3 of 4

my preffered way is just to get icing everywhere, scrape it off later and then attack the board with a clean damp cloth, works like a charm for me icon_biggrin.gif

jakky Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 10:43am
post #4 of 4

You can cover the board in clear contact paper first. Icing wipes right off.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%