Help! Cake For Company Party

Decorating By xiswtsawluiix Updated 12 Nov 2009 , 6:06pm by xiswtsawluiix

xiswtsawluiix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xiswtsawluiix Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:29am
post #1 of 9

Will a cake stay fresh and moist if you ice the cake first then put it in the freezer or fridge for a day or two? I am afraid IMBC or SMBC will spoil if left out in room temp for 2-3 days straight.

I have an offer to do a cake for the company year end party. I am excited and nervous all at the same time because everyone will be there (200-250 people). I'm hoping to use this opportunity as a launching point to officially get my name out there to build up a clientele and start a cake business on the side. I'm trying to plan ahead to make sure everything goes as smoothly as possible without me having a breakdown.

I am doing a 2-layered 9x13 chocolate sheet cake. I would love and truly appreciate any advice on how I should proceed with this from all you experienced cake decorators out there. I really do need guidance.

Also, how much should this cake go for? I am doing the same design but on a 9x13 cake.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1318900

Thanks in advance!

8 replies
JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:11pm
post #2 of 9

I'm just wondering if that size cake will serve 200-250 people. By my calculations, if you cut it into 1" x 2" slices, you'll only have enough for 63 people at most.

jodibug0975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jodibug0975 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 9

yeah, you are going to need a lot more cake!

xiswtsawluiix Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:31pm
post #4 of 9

There will be other desserts there as well, so everyone will be getting a piece. The cake I am making is mainly to serve as a showpiece that is also edible. But I am still not sure on pricing.

I was thinking of charging $350 which includes delivery on 2 trains and a bus. Is this fair?

jodibug0975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jodibug0975 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:34pm
post #5 of 9

$350 for 63 pieces of cake is $5.56 per slice.

It is up to you if that is the fee per slice that you wish to charge.

It is a very cute cake.

How much do cakes go for in your area? I would never get $5.56 slice here..... my area would barely support half that price. But prices vary alot depending on the market in your area.

xiswtsawluiix Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:37pm
post #6 of 9

I live in the NYC area. I was thinking about charging $300 even but the thought of transporting it on 2 trains and a bus for 1.5 hours makes me want to be compensated for going through all the stress of getting the cake there in (pardon the pun) one piece!

I need suggestions. Anyone?

xiswtsawluiix Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:42pm
post #7 of 9

I normally charge $5/slice. So maybe $300 even is fair, but the thought of the communte. :shudders:

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:54pm
post #8 of 9

There's a lot to think about in business.

Apparently, delivery is a big one where you live. Call to find out local charges.

If you are concerned about IMBC or SMBC, you might want to switch to a recipe you are sure of.

Also, just thinking off the top of my head. If you are using this to get business, wouldn't you want to have as many people actually eat your cake as possible? I would make it bigger and write off the extra as advertising. if you are concerned about pricing, then either they can't afford you or it will cost you too much to be in the market and you should not go into business.

Will these people even be future clients? Are you going to be carrying cakes in weekly for 1.5 hour trips to co-workers?

Make the cake. Make it big. Think carefully about the business end of it. You have questions that need to be answered by a business plan.

xiswtsawluiix Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 6:06pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks for the insight Matthew. It is a lot to think about.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%