Making Fondant...grrrr!!!

Decorating By meowmix Updated 12 Nov 2009 , 5:28pm by metria

meowmix Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:20am
post #1 of 9

Ok so I am constantly trying new recipes to make fondant. never have gone to culinary school etc i am able to make all other kinds of stuff but not fondant.

it has been greasy, crumbly, sticky ...EVERYTHING BUT PLIABLE.

I just am trying to get down how to make a good marshmallow fondant at home. I did the whole melt marshmallows and water with the powdered sugar and crisco. Lots of adding and subtracting when recipes dont work. I also live in FL so maybe that has something to do with it.

Anyways ...any advice helps at this point because i would really like to get this type of icing down. Also how do you know how much you really need to cover a cake?

8 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:25am
post #2 of 9

Here's the recipe that I use:

1 lb marshmallows
2 lb powdered sugar (not walmart or imperial brand)
4 tablespoons water
Crisco to grease hands and surfaces.

The recipes I've seen call for a little less water but I don't get good results without the full 1/4 cup water. I have replaced part of the water with extracts though and that works fine.

With two batches, I can cover the cake board, a 10" and 6" tiers, make decorations, and still end up with a lot left over. It's always better to have a little extra than not to have enough, so that if you have a fondant oopsie you can peel it off and still have some to cover the cake. How much you personally use will depend on how thick you're rolling it, which you'll figure out from experience. You can always freeze the leftovers in a ziplock bag. I save all of my scraps and when I need black to cover a board, I mix them together and add black coloring.

Ballymena Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:00am
post #3 of 9

I prefer "Michelle Foster's Fondant" found on this site. It's the best I've used so far. I do figure molding and find marshmallow fondant dries out too fast.

mandysue Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:05am
post #4 of 9

Now, I know this might sound elementary, but the first time I made it, my bag of marshmallows wasn't a pounder. It was smaller. No wonder my fondant was dry!

makeminepink Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:07am
post #5 of 9

I use Rhonda's Ultimate MMF. I love it. When you're mixing the powdered sugar in, it's sticking to the sides of the bowl that you've greased, but by the time you are ready to take it out of the bowl and work the rest of the powdered sugar in, you just scrape down the sides and it amazingly all works in smoothly. It doesn't seem like it would, but it does--crumbly mess and all. Is it possible you're seeing this and thinking it's not going to work?

AmandaGudi Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:55pm
post #6 of 9

Realistically how long does it take to make your own fondant? Is it hard to make large amounts such as 20 lbs.?

mgwebb68 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:02pm
post #7 of 9

I use the recipe mentioned above and it works like a charm every time. I mix it in my KA mixer. If it's too dry when it's mixing I add a couple of drops of water at a time to get it to the right consistency. I tried MFF but my personal preference is MMF. I can whip up a batch in about 10 minutes.

Make sure that you are buying the 1 pound bag of marshmallows and check to make sure that they aren't sticking together in the bag. I use HEB Brand or C & H brand PS. I also cut the water to 2T and use 2T of flavoring.

After it's done mixing, dump it onto a piece of saran coated with Canola spray, wrap it up and let it sit. If it's too firm when I go to use it, I just pop it in the microwave for about 5 to 10 seconds.

metria Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:27pm
post #8 of 9

Perhaps try making smaller batches? I usually make a half-batch and it's so much easier to work with.

metria Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:28pm
post #9 of 9

Oh ya. The Kraft mini marshmallows are commonly sold in 10.5 oz bags ... I always have to whip out the scale when making batches.

Quote by @%username% on %date%