Large Square Tier And Not The Size Pan Needed?????

Decorating By madgeowens Updated 12 Nov 2009 , 4:20pm by madgeowens

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:20am
post #1 of 11

ok....I need at least a 14 or 16 inch square for the base, to stack...smaller squares, the problem is, I don't have large square pans....can you take like 4 8 inch pans to make a 16 inch square and build a tier that way, or will it separate under the fondant and look horrible?????

10 replies
madgeowens Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:38am
post #2 of 11

any suggestions? If not I guess I will have to make do with what I have to use dang it

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:57am
post #3 of 11

It will work. If you are doing more than one layer I would cut 2 of the 4 squares in half. Put the whole squares down the middle over the seam of the first layer and the half ones on each side. Like stacking bricks. This will keep the cake from splitting at the joins.

lmr4876 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmr4876 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:08am
post #4 of 11

You can make a large sheet cake and then cut it to the square size you need. That way it is a full cake and not pieces.

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:19am
post #5 of 11

Hey Madge - Yes it will work perfectly to use 8 - 8' pans to make a 16" 2-layers square layer. I have been doing this for almost a year now. I use the SPS system for stacking and have not had any problems with separation. I do put buttercream between the individual cakes to "glue" them together. this also makes it super simple to torte the larger layers without the fear and actual breakage that occurs when you try to flip a thin layer of a large size cake.

If you have any more questions, just let me know!

Suze

madgeowens Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:43am
post #6 of 11

Thanks so much. Yes I thought I would butter cream in between too...but I thought I read where someones cake cracked and they repaired it, and then later the cake fell apart...so I was afraid to try cutting down a bigger or piecing together smaller ones. It just does not look right if there are not enough inch difference in size cakes when stacking them, and all I have are 8 and 10 inch.....no good haha...I guess i have to order large squares on internet some time

Suzycakes Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 1:07pm
post #7 of 11

I haven't read that about cracking - but cracking could happen in any size cake. To me using the smaller size cakes to make the larger ones is much safer because I don't crack the smaller ones when I flip them or try to move them. I was always cracking or breaking anything larger than a 12". There are several CC's that use the smaller pans to make the larger size cakes.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 1:28pm
post #8 of 11

Just make sure your base is sturdy. Either thread some thin skewers into your cardboard base and stack at least two alternating the direction the corrugation runs in the cardboard or use Masonite or something absolutely rigid. If it can't move or shift it is less likely to crack or come apart. thumbs_up.gif

Suzycakes Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:15pm
post #9 of 11

I always use the 1/2" foil covered cake drums you order from the suppliers. I have 'carried' 2 tiers stacked before on a drum - such as an 18" and 14" - and never had a problem with it sagging or breaking. But I also get my arms up underneath the drum for support and more muscle control!!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:24pm
post #10 of 11

Since you've done it many times before, I trust you Suzycakes. (love your location BTW)

However, since I have a lumberyard about 2 miles from my house I would use 1/2" plywood. They cut squares to size for me for about $1.

madgeowens Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:20pm
post #11 of 11

thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%