Food Colored Stained Hands..how To Clean?

Decorating By sweetcravings Updated 24 Jul 2016 , 12:52pm by cutiger

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:53am
post #1 of 27

icon_smile.gif Yes, i knew before i started i should probably go get those gloves, but i was lazy and figured i would just go ahead and tint the fondant without them this once. icon_cry.gif My palms, fingers are now a wicked shade of pink. I tried washing them right away but it really didn't do much. Thankfully my day tomorrow consists of baking cakes so i'll be at home. icon_smile.gif
Anyone got any good home remedies for getting the color off of your hands? I tried the 'magic eraser' and it didn't work either. icon_lol.gif

26 replies
Brandy982006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brandy982006 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:07am
post #2 of 27

Good Luck...this is me on a daily basis icon_wink.gif

I have stained hands all the time coloring fondant and airbrush spray spilling on me and stuff, LOL...i just gave up on the gloves because they get in my way.

If anyone has a good remedy...i would sure be interested in what it is, LOL. icon_biggrin.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:14am
post #3 of 27

plain old fashioned bleach

stinks

works

wash well after

then use a good hand cream

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:46am
post #4 of 27

Or, save your hands the trauma of using straight bleach and go shampoo your hair. The soapy shampoo and abrasive scrubbing action of your hair on your hands will get those hands clean with no extra effort. icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:49am
post #5 of 27

Wash dishes! The more dish washing I do the faster the color goes away.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:54am
post #6 of 27

I hate working in gloves, so before I work with lots of color, I liberally coat my hands in crisco. It really helps prevent the color from sinking in and staining so much.

If I get colorful hands, I sprinkle them with some Comet, add some Dawn, and rub them together for awhile before rinsing with water.

I also often wash my hands with a good whitening toothpaste--works wonders quick.

And, yes, washing your hair or several sinks of dishes will also help a lot.

HTH
Rae

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:11am
post #7 of 27

Clorox Spray Clean-Up in a bottle does it. One spray on each hand the mess is gone.

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:13am
post #8 of 27

Windex works same stuff as air brush cleaner.

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 10:08am
post #9 of 27

Cakepro beat me to it - a good shampoo: Lather, rinse, repeat!

Of course, it helps to use cheap astringent shampoo, none of that fancy conditioner-laden expensive stuff!

roweeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roweeena Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 10:44am
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmom

Cakepro beat me to it - a good shampoo: Lather, rinse, repeat!

Of course, it helps to use cheap astringent shampoo, none of that fancy conditioner-laden expensive stuff!

Me three for the shampoo! Works every time!

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 11:36am
post #11 of 27

As I don't have dishwasher, before I get all my dishes washed and the kitchen clean, I usually don't have a problem. If it still remains - cheap shampoo and brush under the nails! Works perfectly icon_smile.gif

But does anybody have perfect solution for beet and blueberry stains on hands? Food coloring is breeze in comparison icon_sad.gif

grandmaruth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmaruth Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 11:45am
post #12 of 27

i have used Dawn for my hands and Scrubbing Bubbles, Spot Shot or Windex on the counters....works for me!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 12:02pm
post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Or, save your hands the trauma of using straight bleach and go shampoo your hair. The soapy shampoo and abrasive scrubbing action of your hair on your hands will get those hands clean with no extra effort. icon_smile.gif

I was going to say this, too. The shampoo seems to take out any leftover color that I get on my hands, and I get a lot of color on them!

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:12pm
post #14 of 27

thumbs_up.gif Thanks everyone. I guess i'm gonna go take a good shower and rinse and repeat icon_lol.gif I'll have the cleanest hair around. icon_lol.gif I guess the color could be worse..it could be green. icon_lol.gif
I just hate working with gloves when kneading fondant etc.. I find they really get in the way and because the ones i have are a little large for my hand they just don't work that well. I guess i should go buy some smaller ones. icon_smile.gif
Thanks again.

chloe_52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chloe_52 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:29pm
post #15 of 27

I use a product from the automotive section at Wal-Mart, it is used to get oil and grease off your hands from working on cars. You use it dry to scrub your hands and then rinse. It is like an exfoliator and smells like oranges. Works everytime for me and it is only a few dollars a bottle.

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:58pm
post #16 of 27

I find that baking soda and white vinegar can clean anything on the planet.

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:06pm
post #17 of 27

Use a squirt of dishsoap and about a tablespoon or so of table salt. Scrub the two together on your hands and waalaa. Works like a charm. This is also excellent for onion smell on your hands.

BarbieAnnPlaysWithHerFOOD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbieAnnPlaysWithHerFOOD Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:54pm
post #18 of 27

I use Lava soap.. it is a bar of soap with granuals it it ...a lot of mechanics use it- but I use it a lot for food stains and also I do crafts and projects / auto stuff related with spray paint AND I garden so I get compost and mulch in those tiny tines around my nails and it takes it right off-
to help PREVENT staining with cakes decorating I use a lot of crisco when I knead and roll my fondant , I actually coat my hands with it and wipe off any excess before I even start, so that helps seal out stains and makes my hands very soft = )

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:57pm
post #19 of 27

I pop a polident tablet into a cup of water and dip my hands and then wash it off before, during & after and it works great. I only need it when I airbrush.

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:12pm
post #20 of 27

I use clorox cleanup spray, but I have used GooGone, and the stuff another poster mentioned from the automotive section, I think it's called Goop or something like that.

However, I do find that no matter what is on my hands, after I wash my hair, it's pretty much gone.

jimsgrrl1104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimsgrrl1104 Posted 22 Jul 2016 , 7:22pm
post #21 of 27

I wouldn't use any of the harsh cleansers or bleach on my hands.  I take some salt or sugar and some vegetable oil and make a quick hand scrub.  It's natural and very exfoliating.  Just put the salt and oil in your hands, or mix up a small Mason jar full of it to keep on hand for whenever you need it.  After scrubbing your hands with it, wash the oil off with hand soap.  Almost all of that color will be gone, and the next time give your hands a light coating of Crisco before you color or spray-paint.  Good luck!

tcoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcoll Posted 23 Jul 2016 , 3:07am
post #22 of 27

We keep all of the end bits of the cakes of handsoaps out of the shower in a large jar and then we cover them in water, which makes a gooey slurry, just grab some out of the jar wash and rinse off, and all gone. It's quite an amazing hand cleaner especially for the men's greasy oily hands. Give it a go.

Pipingdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pipingdesigns Posted 23 Jul 2016 , 12:03pm
post #23 of 27

Crisco to prevent it from happening. We use it when handling fondant anyway. It also conditions the hands, which is much better than the torture of the chemicals. The experience of delivering cakes with solid red hands was what encouraged me to go with the preventive method

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Jul 2016 , 10:04pm
post #24 of 27

I also vote for shampoo.  Another trick is to rub your hands with toothpaste and rinse away that color.

The idea of bleach, things like goo gone and other harsh ideas just isn't worth the soreness one would get from their use when shampoo or toothpaste work just as well.

Bakerlady2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakerlady2 Posted 24 Jul 2016 , 3:57am
post #25 of 27

I use a cleaner  called Spray 9 , from Napa auto stores.  its for cleaning car interiors but it works great! hasn't affected my skin any either.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Jul 2016 , 8:24am
post #26 of 27

when I am working color into fondant I put a small piece of the amount of the fondant I need and the color in a plastic bag and smash it all around in there until it's incorporated enough to go into the rest of the fondant without dying my skin or the table/surface I'm kneading it on -- throw the bag away -- no fuss no muss

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 24 Jul 2016 , 12:52pm
post #27 of 27

If you coat your hands with Crisco before you begin, it helps keep the color from soaking into your skin.  Doesn't take much, but I often have to reapply.  Then I keep chlorox in my dishwater and wash my hands as soon as I'm done.  No stain on my hands!  The chlorox in the dishwater also helps get stain out from under fingernails...along with a nail brush.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%