Which Came First???

Decorating By Gingoodies Updated 13 Nov 2009 , 12:16pm by cylstrial

Gingoodies Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 1:22am
post #1 of 8

NO.. not the old chicken or the egg question! icon_lol.gif

How did EVERYONE get so interested in making/decorating cakes. It seems like we cannot offer enough classes where I work to fill the demand.

Were people so interested that TV saw a niche to fill by offering "Cake shows" ? Or are people just revved up from watching those cake shows?

There was a customer in the store today looking to buy supplies to make her son's 1st BD cake. She was agonizing over buying the stuff, when would she bake, could she make it look like the picture? etc etc. She also wanted to know about classes.

It's an obsession!

What's your take on this?

7 replies
LaBellaFlor Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:12am
post #2 of 8

It's the shows. Some of us have been doing it for over a decade and I feel there has always been someone interested in cake decorating. I think it has gone up a little more with the cake shows as far as interest goes. But I think the cake shows have brought it to the more general public's attention so they are aware of all these decorating techniques and a that a cake can be more then the sheet cake from Wal-Mart. The draw back to the shows is that people think you can crank a 10-tiered wedding cake in a few hours and that it shouldn't cost more $200 bucks!

KathysCC Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:28am
post #3 of 8

I think the cake decorating shows have definitely created an interest in decorating. Lots of people look at those cakes on TV and want to try out their own artistic talent. I think that is the biggest reason for the surge in cake decorators and/or cake decorator wanna-bes. I'm thankful that I've been doing it long enough to not count myself among the TV-influenced hopefuls..LOL.

I also think that parties are more elaborate than they used to be. My childhood birthdays were a homemade cake made by mom with some candles on top. So many people have elaborate parties for their kids and I actually KNOW people who say that their kid's party has to top the other parties they've been to.

We throw a lot more money at our kids, our weddings and other celebrations than society did in the past. Cakes have gotten fancier and more popular because of it.

And yes, there are many people who see it as a good way to make money on the side.

LaBellaFlor Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:34am
post #4 of 8

Well I'm Mexican and we seem to throw big parties for everything! Weddings and Quinces are the ULTIMATE big parties though. But your right, I know people who are all about topping the other parties. I even heard someone say at a kid's party, serioously,"This party is just okay. Tomorrow will be way better then this one. That's the real party". Yup. Said it out loud on the cell phone in front of who ever was standing next to him. I had a party for my son, daughter, and best friend on the same Satuday. Their birthdays are in the same week. It was a big party with bouncer & clown. I had a parent say to me,"Wow. How are we supposed to top this"? I didn't know what to say. I didn't know it was a competition.

Rachie204 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:52am
post #5 of 8

I think for most people it is probably the shows....

For me however it has nothing to do with the shows...I have seen a few episodes of Ace of cakes but that is all. We actually don't even have cable.

I personally became interested in cake decorating when I first saw a TT cake. I hadn't ever seen one before but stumbled upon a picture in a magazine while looking for wedding cake Ideas for my own wedding....I wanted that cake so bad but my Husband thought it was hideous....lol.

But you are right it is an obsession. I dont think there is one day since I joined CC that I have not logged onto this site. I go to bed thinking about cakes and wake up thinking about them. icon_smile.gif

Gingoodies Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 12:22pm
post #6 of 8

I guess it is the shows to a great extent. The girl I refer to in my original post actually called Buddy Velastro's place to get a quote on a cake for this party. This cake will be for about 30 people and I believe she said they quoted something like $500. She chose not to buy there, but was determined to have this particular cake.

LaBellaFlor Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:21pm
post #7 of 8

If you look on Buddy's bakery's site, they are VERY upfront & honest about pricing and I appreciate that. They give them sample pricing and let them know dummies ain't cheap and cost the same as a regualr cake. That's why they won't do dummies. All I can say is Go Buddy, Go Buddy!

cylstrial Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 12:16pm
post #8 of 8

I think all the new people interested in caking are from all the tv shows that are on now. They are inspiring to everyone.

I started caking about 10 years ago on my own. And then a few years ago I decided to take the Wilton classes.

Now I teach the Wilton classes and from what I have seen, a lot of people sign up expecting to be able to do great things. I've had several people drop out after week 2 of course 1! Which means they only really made one cake and had one lesson, cause the first lesson is a demo.

Quote by @%username% on %date%