Violet Turned Out Blue...why?!

Decorating By AverageMom Updated 12 Nov 2009 , 3:51am by AverageMom

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 1:18am
post #1 of 10

I just made a daisy cake (see in my pics) and the Wilton gel colour said Violet on the bottle. In my opinion, this cake is clearly not violet. Any ideas on what I did wrong?

9 replies
Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 1:28am
post #2 of 10

You didn't do anything wrong! I use Americolor gels and had the same problem with their purple. I PM'd the Americolor rep (his CC name is ColorBoy) and he had some great advise.

You start with a blue frosting and a pink frosting and then mix them to achieve a violet/lavender/purple.

I was trying for a lavender. I used a light blue frosting and kept adding pink, a little at a time, until I got the color I wanted. Worked great thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 1:29am
post #3 of 10

I don't see the cake in your pictures, but did you leave it in the sun? I've had purple fondant turn blue on me in the sun (cookies at a farmers market).

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 1:45am
post #4 of 10

This has been happening since the late 70's when they took Red Dye #2 off of the market. Here's your history lesson: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-653200-red.html+dye

AverageMom Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 1:51am
post #5 of 10

It should be there in my pics now, Michelle. So....people just know to use violet to get blue? And pink to get purple? Arghhhh!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 1:56am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageMom

It should be there in my pics now, Michelle. So....people just know to use violet to get blue? And pink to get purple? Arghhhh!!!

No.
Read the link in my above post.

Many CC'ers have done some testing and found that using milk in your icing will stablize the color (no, it doesn't need refrigerated). Since I've used milk for years in my icing, I never really had to deal with fading .... I just never knew why.

AverageMom Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:01am
post #7 of 10

Thanks, Indydebi. I just went and read the link. Very interesting! I'll be interested to see what colour this cake is by morning. Thankfully, it's just a "take to school for students" cake, not a paying customer.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:06am
post #8 of 10

Gee that does look blue! I've used Wilton violet before with no problem. icon_confused.gif

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:24am
post #9 of 10

I had the same problem with painting my daughter's room when we first moved in. I complained that her room looked blue to my artist friend and she laughed and said, "Duh, Roses are Red, Violets are Blue...." icon_smile.gif

AverageMom Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:51am
post #10 of 10

Kristy, that's exactly what my husband said! Violets are blue. But the label is so....purple looking. Silly me, I thought the frosting would match the label. Thanks for looking!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%