Wedding Cakes A Design Source How To?

Decorating By hsmomma Updated 11 Nov 2009 , 10:49pm by hsmomma

hsmomma Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 10:15pm
post #1 of 6

I submitted some wedding cake photos (actual pictures not cd) to Wedding Cakes - Design Source.
Today I got an email that they would like me to resubmit them in better quality. I just sent them pictures that I took and had developed at Rite Aid. They suggested professional quality pics on a cd. Do you think I can send in a CD ~or~ do I need to call and ask my brides for a copy of their professional pics of their cakes? Of course I would pay for those copies, I just hate to bother them with a request.

So...for those of you who have contributed to the magazine, did you submit a cd from pics you took...or did they actually have to be the professional photographs that were taken at the wedding reception? I've got a decent camera...but, certainly not like the cameras the professionals use (or their eye).

Thanks so much!

5 replies
keflyn Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 10:20pm
post #2 of 6

it's hard to tell quite what you mean, professional quality is a very vague term...for me, (graphic design) I won't use less than 250 res. for a magazine or something, but if I'm manipulating a photo? I use 2500 res....for you? 300-350 dpi should be fine, on a cd.

hsmomma Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 10:28pm
post #3 of 6

That's exactly what they said 300 dpi. I don't even know what that means. How do I know what my dpi is on a photograph I took? I know...I'm so clueless when it comes to pictures! I use a Nikon Digital camera (5 megapics). Would that be sufficient quality?
Thanks for your help. I was disappointed because (to me) the pictures look beautiful but of course I understand that they need them to be what they need them to be. It is definitely an area I have no experience in ~ and they know what they are talking about.

keflyn Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 10:40pm
post #4 of 6

dpi= data per inch, pixels per inch. the more the pixels the better it prints (fewer pixels mean if you resize it gets jaggedy).
if you are using a nikon, you should definitely be fine. the way I tell my image resolutions is I check on the computer, but I'm guessing you don't use photoshop or indesign so, what model is it? most digitals take about the right resolution (by most i mean nice/decent ones not child ones). you should be fine. the issue was in sending them actual photos because a scanner messes up, and does not make high res images.

keflyn Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 10:46pm
post #5 of 6

.......if all else fails, send as a pdf but only as a last resort.

hsmomma Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 10:49pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you so much for your responses. I believe my camera (in my cake studio right now or I would look) is a Nikon 3500.

I think I will send them a cd then. Maybe the paper pictures were the issue.

I appreciate your input ~ especially since I'm so clueless.

Quote by @%username% on %date%