Gumpaste Or 50/50?

Decorating By AngelaM Updated 11 Nov 2009 , 11:11pm by AngelaM

AngelaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaM Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 9:32pm
post #1 of 3

Hi! I'm just getting into fondant & gp. In which situations would you use all gumpaste or when do you use a 50/50 mixure? I learned that you can't do bows with all fondant because they'll droop, but in what other situations would you use a 50/50? And why a 50/50 instead of all gumpaste? Is it because gumpaste tastes awful so the fondant will cut the nasty taste some? Oh, and in case it matters the only fondant I work with is MMF.

Thanks in advance for your help everybody! icon_biggrin.gif

2 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 3

Straight gum paste: things you have to roll very thin and have dry quickly and very hard--mainly gum paste flowers and leaves

50/50: things you need to be pliable for awhile, but to dry in a specific position or shape. things you need to be able to pick up after cutting out and you don't want them to go out of shape easily. large pieces that you need to roll into crack-free balls, logs, figures, etc.
Takes on the taste of the fondant more than the gum paste, so it can be eaten and still taste pretty decent.

Straight fondant: flat decorations that go directly onto the cake, very small ejector flowers, covering cake boards, extruded things that you add crisco to in order to easily extrude

HTH
Rae

AngelaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaM Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 11:11pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks so much! One more question, can I make a batch of 50/50 and store it for later use in the same way I store my MMF?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%