How Do I Store 12Lbs Of Sweetex That Came In A Cardboard Bo

Decorating By JustToEatCake Updated 12 Nov 2009 , 7:52am by JanH

JustToEatCake Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 7:27pm
post #1 of 14

I don't feel sanitary with it stored in the cardboard box (wrapped in plastic) does anyone have any ideas where I can buy a food safe container that is, hopefully, the perfect size and shape even?..lol..this is like a loaf of bread. Thanks

13 replies
Rocketgirl899 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 7:36pm
post #2 of 14

I weigh my sweetex in containers for a single batch of sugarshacks BC. Works out to 7 cups (for my 7qt cuisinart <3)

I'd find tupperware or snapware (my new fav) in the cup size you need then store away!

Snapware offers a 40 cup storage container which is a nice size if you want put it all in one container icon_biggrin.gif

Good luck.

I stored mine in a cool dark place in the blue food bag and box it came in for over a year and not a single problem. Just make sure to twist the bag as air tight as possible.

hth. good luck icon_biggrin.gif

grandmom Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 8:17pm
post #3 of 14

I just spent a couple of hours Sunday weighing out 3 lb. portions from a 50 lb. box. I molded it in a square plastic container, then turned it out and double wrapped it in plastic wrap, then in heavy-duty foil. I froze it.

I hope it does ok. I did freeze a smaller batch and it did fine, but I didn't leave it in the freezer very long. I just can't use up 50 lbs. very quickly!

pattigunter Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 8:26pm
post #4 of 14

I leave mine in the box it was shipped in. As long as the blue plastic is closed tight and its kept in a relatively cool spot it should be fine. A 50lb box usually lasts me for about 8 months.

thallo Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 8:28pm
post #5 of 14

I normally buy in the 50lb boxes and then cut it up, wrap it and freeze it. I have never had any problems. The wrapping part is very important though.

Happy decorating!!

joknee Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 8:33pm
post #6 of 14

What's Sweetex?

Rocketgirl899 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 8:39pm
post #7 of 14

Sweetex = the stuff of gods!

It is basically Kick A$$ Hi- Ratio shortening that makes my BC come out better than ever!

Something about more fat, or smaller fat, or something. just know this stuff is AWESOME!

cas17 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 8:43pm
post #8 of 14

i was wondering the same thing a couple weeks ago when i bought my first 50lb cube of hi ratio from my local cake supply store. so i bought a large rubbermade tub and ripped the box off and plopped it in there and snapped the lid on. i worried too about it being open so to speak. i would like to divy it up into freezer bags in the per use amounts but haven't yet had the time, so for now i'm just a dipping as needed.

JustToEatCake Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 8:44pm
post #9 of 14

Thank you for the replies! It didn't even cross my mind to store it in batches!! This will help a lot. I might be able to store a little in the freezer (I have a SMALL freezer). It will take me a good while to use this 12lbs. I'm just a new hobbist, dabbling and playing but it was way too expensive to let go bad. It was 35.00 for 12 lbs BUT I figure if it's worth it, it's worth it.

I also read somewhere that some people use half Sweetex and half Crisco. Haven't tried that yet but just wondering if anyone here does that.

Cakepro Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 6:28am
post #10 of 14

I store my 50 pound cubes of high-ratio shortening in the plastic bag inside the cardboard box...as does every bakery I've ever been in.

JustToEatCake Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 7:36am
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

I store my 50 pound cubes of high-ratio shortening in the plastic bag inside the cardboard box...as does every bakery I've ever been in.

I think most bakeries will be using it much faster than I will. Also, I don't like it being only cardboard and a plastic bag stuck in a cabinet. Just me but I am a "critter" freak. I don't have, never have had a problem with them, but the thought of one smelling that through the box and possibly crawling on it...just gives me the creepies, not to mention what some critters could do to a cardboard box to get to it.

Heh, I have a small fridge, very small but it's crowded with bags of flour and all powdered/brown/granulated sugar among other things most people don't refrigerate. Just my fear of "them".

I noticed that another website that sells the other brand, can't remember the name of it, (saw edna's video) it comes in a plastic bucket. I looked at the website.

Cakepro Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 7:42am
post #12 of 14

If you don't have rodents or whatever you are afraid of actually in your house, then I don't think your stuff is in much danger...but you could always just buy a Rubbermaid tub with a snap-tight lid to store your shortening and baking ingredients in...if you wanted to regain your fridge space, that is.

Texas_Rose Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 7:47am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustToEatCake

Heh, I have a small fridge, very small but it's crowded with bags of flour and all powdered/brown/granulated sugar among other things most people don't refrigerate. Just my fear of "them".

Walmart sells clear plastic jars with screw-on lids that are perfect for storing dry goods. I think they were around three dollars each. The mouth of the jar is big enough to get a one cup measuring cup in.

I had to get them because I did have the critter problem. It's a little hard to prevent things like that in an apartment complex. No matter how clean you are, your neighbors are always another story icon_rolleyes.gif

JanH Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 7:52am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustToEatCake

I also read somewhere that some people use half Sweetex and half Crisco. Haven't tried that yet but just wondering if anyone here does that.

IMHO, mixing hi-ratio and Crisco doesn't obtain the maximum performance or benefit from either product. And as you noted, it isn't the most cost effective way to achieve a standard American buttercream.

If you want to replace Crisco with a different standard shortening there are other brands that (still) contain transfat.

If you want to explore hi-ratio shortening, use it in a hi-ratio shortening recipe so that you can see the difference in performance: improved mouth feel, ability to absorb more liquid without breaking down, and even smoother buttercream (as observed by some members).

Also, there are more varieties of hi-ratio besides Sweetex and Alpine. Perhaps one of them, like CK brand would be more cost effective for you (especially if you're determined to mix it up with Crisco).

BTW, I would recommend using 2/3 cup of hi-ratio as a substitute for every 1 cup of Crisco in any Crisco recipe that you're adapting. Or 1 cup of hi-ratio per every 7 cups of powdered sugar in your recipe.

Indydebi's Crisco based buttercream recipe:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

Hi-ratio shortening recipes:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-633723-.html

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%