Raw Eggs In Ri Question

Decorating By just_for_fun Updated 12 Nov 2009 , 3:19pm by PinkZiab

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 8

Whenever I use RI, I use meringue powder. If I use raw eggs, is it safe? or is it one of those foods that i should not give to old/pregnant/young ppl? TIA

7 replies
motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 8

personally, IMHO.... please never use raw eggs in your RI..... anyone can get sick from it, why take the chance?

whit6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whit6 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 8

I always use raw eggs in my RI. I figure thats the ways its been done forver so why change it. Personally i think people are way too paranoid these days.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 8

Whit6, when I first got started, I had an icing recipe that I was told was for wedding cakes. I used it for about a year before being given my Dream Whip recipe. Anyway ..... turns out the 1st recipe was a RI with raw egg whites. Can't tell you how many cakes I did that year with this icing. The only complaint I ever got was how it 'crunched' when it was cut. (I didn't know crap about icing back then, so my response was, "Of course it does .... it's wedding cake icing!" dunce.gif )

I was excited to get the dream whip recipe because the first thing I noticed was how much money I was going to save because I wasn't going to use any eggs in this icing! icon_lol.gif

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:40am
post #5 of 8

I only use raw egg whites for my royal icing. Seems stronger than RI made with meringue powder.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:48am
post #6 of 8

Yes, it will be fine. icon_smile.gif

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:59am
post #7 of 8

Egg whites are fine. If the fact that they are raw concerns you there is a dried egg white version you can get from Global Sugar Arts, http://www.globalsugarart.com/search.php?search=egg+white&searchimage.x=7&searchimage.y=3

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:19pm
post #8 of 8

I only use raw egg whites in mine as well... I think it's stronger than the meringue powder version, and I think it also handles better (better elasticity for piping, etc).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%