2-D R2D2 Does This Need Internal Support?

Decorating By MissyTex Updated 11 Nov 2009 , 8:39pm by majka_ze

MissyTex Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 6:38pm
post #1 of 7

I am making an R2D2 in 2-D, fondant covered. To get the cylinder shape I am going to use 6" rounds cut in half and laid up against each other and a ball pan for the "head." I was wondering if I need to insert a dowel through all of them, or if the BC and fondant will hold it all together. Thanks for any advice!

6 replies
jammjenks Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 6:52pm
post #2 of 7

I would not use any kind of support. The fondant should hold it all together, IMO

onlymadaresane Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 6:56pm
post #3 of 7

why are you cutting the 6" in half? Wouldn't you just tort em and stack em to height and then attach the head?

MissyTex Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 7:03pm
post #4 of 7

Onlymadaresane, it's only a 2-D cake, laying on it's side. But I don't want it flat, I want it rounded, so I'm using half rounds.

It's not a huge cake, so I was thinking the BC and fondant would hold it OK. Just wanted the opinions of my CC friends!

onlymadaresane Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 7:18pm
post #5 of 7

Ahh I thought you were doing a 3-D cake!!

lrlt2000 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 7:26pm
post #6 of 7

I'm not very experienced, but to be safe, I would put a skinny dowel horizontally through the whole thing, after fondant--just as you would with an upright stacked cake. If the fondant got heavy, it may separate the layers!

majka_ze Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 8:39pm
post #7 of 7

You don't need any support - the 6" round cake means you get only height of 3". The BC will hold it together - but let the cake set before covering. Imagine all the 3D cakes where you cut and stack horizontally AND vertically. BC is actually very strong and holds the parts very well together.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%