I Received A Wonderful Compliment...

Decorating By TheCakeShak Updated 13 Nov 2009 , 4:50am by tracycakes

TheCakeShak Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 6:07pm
post #1 of 22

Hello fellow cc'ers......

Just wanted to share something... For a long long time, I had been wondering if my cakes were up to snuff amongst all the other cakes out there in cake land.

Well, I was "finally" given the grandioso coodles..... I recently did a couple of cake projects and after the cakes were picked up I received a booya of wonderful compliments on my cakes and the work I put into creating them.
I am "finally" getting noticed!
Then, yesterday, it was DH Birthday. Well, I had asked him the other day if he wanted me to make his Bday cake or if he wanted to try a cake from a well known bakery here in town. He went for the bakery here in town. We had a slice of DH Bday cake last night, and the compliments that were coming from DH.
DH told me, "your cakes are waaaayy better than this, and your cakes taste waaayy better!".
I almost fell off the chair!!
I say this because as of lately, DH has been so very very critical of my cake decorating that it was getting to the point that I was going to give up cake decorating all together.
I had put alot of hard work into my cakes, recipes, cake decorating etc.. and DH would tell me way after the cake is completely finished "that he could have done a better job". Talk about really letting out the air in your sails!!!

But I kept going with the cake decorating and kept working on my cake projects......
I am delighted to share this with fellow cake decorators to say that no matter what, "don't give up your dream!" of cake decorating. Keep going! Eventually, you will get there!!!

21 replies
costumeczar Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 6:18pm
post #2 of 22

Isn't it nice to get recognized by your husband? Sometimes they don't take cakes seriously until they realize how it impacts them personally, either financially with the money you can earn doing it, or by having a good cake on their birthdays! Nice to be appreciated!

mkm25 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 22

Yay! I'm thrilled that you're finally feeling appreciated! Self-confidence will take you a long way!

As a side note, people always say that they are their own worst critic...but I always say that's not true for me. Sure, I'm hard on myself and I'm a perfectionist...but my DH is way more critical! haha! I think of it this way: He wants you to be your best. He probably knows you better than anyone else so he knows what you're capable of. You've been staring at it for hours so he's offering a fresh look at your cake. Of course, he's not as exhausted as you are so take his opinions with a grain of salt. icon_smile.gif Anyway, in your DH's defense, he probably doesn't even realize he's bursting your bubble.

Anyway, congrats again and good luck in your future caking adventures!

SandiOh Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 22

wow. um, that story made my hair rise...and not in a good way.

sometimes, I get insecure about my cakes...and it's nice to have some affirmation. My husband doesn't eat my cakes....always wants to buy them from other places....but my children REFUSE to eat cake from other places....so that's affirmation enough for me. My husband also resents all the time I spend making cakes....probably why he won't eat them. I think that's why your story affected me....I hope you don't let your DH affect your sense of self worth anymore.........perhaps he's jealous?

I do not mean to offend by this post....

jammjenks Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 6:59pm
post #5 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandiOh

wow. um, that story made my hair rise...and not in a good way.

sometimes, I get insecure about my cakes...and it's nice to have some affirmation. My husband doesn't eat my cakes....always wants to buy them from other places....but my children REFUSE to eat cake from other places....so that's affirmation enough for me. My husband also resents all the time I spend making cakes....probably why he won't eat them. I think that's why your story affected me....I hope you don't let your DH affect your sense of self worth anymore.........perhaps he's jealous?

I do not mean to offend by this post....

I got that feeling too, SandiOh. Then again, my DH is very supportive and was actually the one who suggested I take up cake decorating anyway.

To Crashdummy2 - if your husband can do a better job than the cinderella coach you did, then....well, he deserves his own cake show on FoodNetwork. icon_lol.gif

Glad you got positive remarks from him on his cake, though. Hopefully it is just the first of many. thumbs_up.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 7:07pm
post #6 of 22

I know our opinions don't matter as much as to you as your husband, but...well I'm just glad as good as your work is, you didn't give up cause of lack of support...and thats as nice as I can say that. thumbs_up.gif

ElegantOccasions Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 7:20pm
post #7 of 22

Your cakes are absolutely awesome. When I grow up I want to be just like you.....

Rosa2745 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 7:24pm
post #8 of 22

I know what you mean. My husband always has SOMETHING to say about every cake I make. I know he can be honest, too honest sometimes. Well this Saturday I worked on a huge cake (well huge for me). It had a lot of scroll work (something I'm not too confident in). Well he never spoke as I worked so I finally turned to him and said, "Ok what's wrong with it?" He said I was doing a great job and that's why he hadn't butted in. I was happy.

OMGitsaLisa Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 7:41pm
post #9 of 22

I'm glad you finally got the compliment that you wanted. This post also makes me feel kind of bad that your husband is being kind of a jerk all the rest of the time, though. icon_sad.gif I'm glad you haven't given up despite him. Maybe you should have him decorate a cake to prove how amazing he is to shut him up. I seriously doubt he's as good as he thinks he is.

cookie_fun Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 7:43pm
post #10 of 22

I'm glad you are feeling better about your cakes. I have to tell you I took a peek at your photos and 2 of your cakes are in my favorites! I don't do that for just any ole cake either!

You are a fantastic decorator, and I hope to someday maybe be as good as you. I have a long road to go!

BlakesCakes Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 9:11pm
post #11 of 22

HE CHOSE A BAKERY CAKE OVER ONE OF YOURS icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

If he were my husband, he'd have celebrated his birthday--and every future birthday--ALONE! icon_evil.gif

He needs to find a healthy hobby so that he stops being jealous of the time you spend caking and the attention that it brings you. icon_wink.gif

just my .02
Rae

cylstrial Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 9:18pm
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

HE CHOSE A BAKERY CAKE OVER ONE OF YOURS icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

If he were my husband, he'd have celebrated his birthday--and every future birthday--ALONE! icon_evil.gif

He needs to find a healthy hobby so that he stops being jealous of the time you spend caking and the attention that it brings you. icon_wink.gif

just my .02
Rae

I'm with Rae on this one!

this-mama-rocks Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 9:31pm
post #13 of 22

Is it possible, just possible, that he chose the bakery cake over yours to save you the time and energy that you both knows goes into a cake?

Maybe he's trying to be nice and not cause you any excessive exhaustion and stress. Maybe he's a big fat jerk. Only you know the answer.

BTW, your work is amazing, and don't let anyone talk you out of doing this!

Texas_Rose Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 10:08pm
post #14 of 22

Sometimes my husband is the same way...the last cake I did was just for practice and when he saw it he said, "Your cakes are usually a Ferarri, but this one is a Ford Focus." So when I cut the cake and he came over for a slice, I gave him a Little Debbie cake and told him he could eat a Pinto.

And I was making a gumpaste moon for a cake topper and he came up and said, "That really isn't your best work. You're not going to end up putting that on a cake." Of course he was right but I would have figured it out on my own.

My secret is, though, that I don't care very much what he thinks. I've known him way too long and seen him change his mind way too many times to decide what I'm going to do based on what he says. I don't tell him that though icon_biggrin.gif

costumeczar Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 10:10pm
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Sometimes my husband is the same way...the last cake I did was just for practice and when he saw it he said, "Your cakes are usually a Ferarri, but this one is a Ford Focus." So when I cut the cake and he came over for a slice, I gave him a Little Debbie cake and told him he could eat a Pinto.

icon_biggrin.gif

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

LaBellaFlor Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 11:07pm
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

icon_biggrin.gif

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Agree! Aha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,haaaaaaaa!

Texas_Rose thumbs_up.gif

TheCakeShak Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:54am
post #17 of 22

Hi again fellow cc'ers.........

Thank you so so much for the extra confidence! It really really means the most to me as I am sure as you all are cake decorating, those compliments mean a bunch.

To hopefully, help to clarify........ DH is a great man.. It's just for the fact that when he was in the Marines, he use to do cakes and I guess he was considered the best "then".
It really bugs me when there I am decorating, "in my cake zone" and here comes DH, and he just stands there with that "odd" look on his face staring at the cake I am doing, and then come's the comments waaaayyy after I am finished and all done.
I "did" one day, just got so so tired of the negativity comments and the " I could have done a better job", that I did give him a blank cake, a cooking whisp, and offered my cake decorating supplies and told DH to "have at it", " to let's get it on and see who is better at this".
To say, DH declined to take me up on it, and I politely told him how much of an impact his comments were doing to my confidence of cake decorating.
I also made mention that I was NOT one of his marines who can take the very harsh critique's he was giving me, that he was waaaayyy too hard on me.

And finally to also add, "yes indeed, DH took the bakery cake instead of my cake" and you all know what, his cake is still sitting in the fridge with about 3 slices gone. Oh well.........

I just wanted to share my story with you all to again encourage to not let NO ONE take away your sail on your cloud!!!

Thank you again for the fellow cc'ers support and I just love looking at all the beautiful cakes here and have put quite a few into my fav's......

Rachie204 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:05am
post #18 of 22

I am so sorry your husband hurt your feelings, but glad to know that he had to admit that he enjoys your cakes in the end.

While my husband is very supportive and gets very excited when I am doing a cake...I have noticed he can get slightly agitated since me caking means he is solely responsible for our 5year old boy and 10 month old girl.

Maybe they are jealous of the time it takes away from them.

Texas_Rose....That was so funny.

princelyess Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:29am
post #19 of 22

That carriage cake is fabulous!! I now know what I am making my daughter for her birthday in December. She is a huge disney princess fan, and will love that cake!!! Keep up the good work!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

cakesbyk2 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:46am
post #20 of 22

It's funny how hubbys react to our projects. I'm fortunate my husband tolerates my hobby. I work full time right now and only do this on the side. Hope to make it something more when I retire. My 20 yr. old daughter on the other hand is my biggest fan. When she goes to any party, wedding, etc. she always comes home and says, "Mom, you could have done a better cake." That's ithe best compliment of all. I will be making her wedding cake next year..... My husband isn't crazy about cake but he is a "trooper" and tries them all.....LOL
Keep doing what you're doing and have fun!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:08am
post #21 of 22

I was telling my husband about all of this and he wanted me to tell you that's how men encourage each other. He says they're all at least a little bit competitive (that's why some of them never grow out of playing video games) and that your husband is probably really proud of your cakes but he doesn't want to just say that because he knows the more you push yourself, the better you'll get.

Sometimes they don't make much sense to me. Anyhow, he wanted me to tell you that icon_biggrin.gif

tracycakes Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 4:50am
post #22 of 22

I'm glad that you are feeling good because your cakes rock!

I so often read these posts and realize how lucky I am that my husband so supportive of my then-hobby and now second job. Without my husband, I just don't know if I could do this and if he complained instead of supported, I might have just given up.

I'm so glad you stuck with it even though you weren't getting that support. Thanks for sharing your story!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%