Business By articlay Updated 15 Nov 2009 , 4:24pm by indydebi

articlay Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 9

Can someboby tell me about home insurance for baking at home??? My daugther it's getting married and the hotel it's asking me for insurance....Thank you so much!!!!

8 replies
sadsmile Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 9

It's a business insurance policy they are asking for. I am guessing that they will prohibit anything unless it is also from a licensed business. It's legality issue of being liable if someone where to get ill. The venue's insurance mandates the suppliers must be insured to cover such occasions if they should arise.

FromScratch Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 7:08pm
post #3 of 9

Yes... it's liability insurance. I have a 1 million dollar policy and is costs me $225/year through State Farm. I'm going to mirror what sadsmile said though in thinking that if they are asking for proof of insurance, they are probably going to want to see a food service license as well. I always carry both with me when I deliver cakes just incase someone asks to see it.

articlay Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:14am
post #4 of 9

thank you so much for your information!!!!

articlay Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:19am
post #5 of 9

jeanne, what about the food service licence? how to get it? icon_cry.gif

sadsmile Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 1:12pm
post #6 of 9

It would take some time. You have to first contact your local governing agency for restaurants and see if you can legally bake and sell from home. Here it is the Department Agriculture and Health Department. Laws vary depending on where you live. If it is legal you contact an insurance agency and find out how much a policy is. I am thinking you may have to be inspected and licensed(food service license) before you can get the insurance but that also depends where you are as the laws vary all over. There may also be food safety coarse required.

If you don't have time to jump through all the hoops or can't you may have to go with an already licensed baker for your daughters wedding cake.

Edited for spelling

FromScratch Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:16pm
post #7 of 9

Yes... depending on where you live, you may or may not be able to get a residential food service license. Call your local heath department and you can ask. There is a sticky post at the top of the business forum too that has a list of all the states and if they offer residential licenses. Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

JenniferMI Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 2:22pm
post #8 of 9

More and more venues are requiring a business license in order to bring food in. Liability..liability...

Jen icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 4:24pm
post #9 of 9

Agree with Jen. Just because Aunt Martha or Gramma is making the cake, doesn't make it ok. Most (if not all) of the major hotels are requiring proof that the cake comes from a legally licensed and insurance 'bakery'. And it's strictly a liability, ducks-in-a-row issue.

I've rented (so to speak) my kitchen to someone who was making a family member's cake but the hotel required that it come from a licensed kitchen. This person confirmed with the hotel that if she rented time in a legal kitchen, would that suffice for them, and it did.

So, no, they are not asking for a copy of your homeowner's policy. They are wanting to know that you are a legal, licensed business .... defined however your state sets it up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%