Treasure Chest Lid

Decorating By mrselliott Updated 13 Nov 2009 , 10:27am by Meg147

mrselliott Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 6

how do i get a treasure chest lid to stay open?

5 replies
Ballymena Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:19am
post #2 of 6

I made a jewellery box and wanted the lid partly off. I used a piece of stiff plastic to build the lid on and then put a piece of dowling in the box holding the lid up. The plastic was a similar color to the lid so worked well.

Sarsi Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 6:39am
post #3 of 6

For my treasure chest cake, I made the lid base from two pieces of cardboard taped together (double thickness). Then, I poked 4 holes through ONE LAYER ONLY of cardboard. I inserted dowels into those holes the right lengths....stuck that down into the cake and bottom cake board... I hope that makes sense, I'm soooo tired right now! Waiting for my husband to get home! LOL!! I'll post a picture.. you can see the dowels poking up...

momma28 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:51pm
post #4 of 6

For my treasure chest cake I used a regular piece of cakeboard trimmed to the size of the cake I used for the lid covered it. I had made a "wedge" of cake on the bottom piece when I was carving it and then it was covered in the fondant at the same time as the rest of the bottom piece. I also had two skewers sticking slightly up more toward the front of the bottom piece for the front of the lid to rest on. All the candy covered that up and since the wedge was covered in the same fondant you couldnt see it at all.

The pic is in my photos. HTH

deliciously_decadent Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 10:09am
post #5 of 6

make it from styro and stick to one side and support with dowels on the other icon_smile.gif

Meg147 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 10:27am
post #6 of 6

For my record player, I also used a cake board covered with fondant & supported it with skewers (painted gold to look like brackets) - it wasnt my best attempt, but I had not discovered CC at the time so I did what I could. I think the Styrofoam would be much better as it's lighter and wont require as much support.

Quote by @%username% on %date%