Wilton Fondant

Decorating By shafali448 Updated 11 Nov 2009 , 11:18pm by Adevag

shafali448 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shafali448 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 7

can i flavor store bought wilton fondant and how much do i use?

6 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 5:21pm
post #2 of 7

You can, but if you are even the silghtest bit serious about selling a good product, don't. Wilton fondant is great for covering dummies and making embellishments that aren't meant to be eaten. And plus, it is the most expensive inedible medium you can buy!

Try some MMF or MFF-both recipes easily found in the recipe section on this very site.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 7

Heck, if your serious about what you eat, you won't use Wilton's fondant. icon_razz.gif

Barbara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barbara Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 5:49pm
post #4 of 7

A good idea is to use more flavoring in the Buttercream underneath the Wilton fondant.
Barbara

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 6:01pm
post #5 of 7

I use it in a pinch. But I will make some candy clay or mmf and do a 50/50 mix. I have used Lorann oils to flavor it, too. That is the only way it is edible to me. Otherwise, if you can get the Satin ice, do so!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 7:13pm
post #6 of 7

I recommend that my students use half of a dram of LorAnn candy oil per 24 ounces (small box) of Wilton fondant, and then taste to see if they need to add more.

You can actually make it taste pretty good using candy oils! And if you use a 50% coupon at Michael's, you can pick up a 5 pound box for 10 bucks...making it quite inexpensive. icon_smile.gif

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 11:18pm
post #7 of 7

I have never tried the wilton fondant because it has hydrogenated fats (trans fats). Not that fondants are healthy but I don't think Satin Ice has trans fats. If you have time you can make your own and pick your own flavor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%