Need Cupcake Stand Tutorial

Decorating By blueeyes6077 Updated 12 Nov 2009 , 4:37pm by blueeyes6077

blueeyes6077 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueeyes6077 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 4:25pm
post #1 of 5

Can someone tell me where to find a good tutorial on making my own cupcake stand? Thanks!!

4 replies
FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 7:04pm
post #2 of 5

There used to be a great one on youtube, but it's been pulled.

This thread has ALOT of awesome ideas, maybe one can help you: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=631237&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

kileyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kileyscakes Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 5

Take a look at my pictures. I made a cupcake stand for my sisters graduation and It turned out really well. It is made of two 14 inch cake bases and two 12 inch cake bases you can get these at craft store or walmart I think I used this size because they come in packs of 2 and I didn't want to buy any more, but my walmart only carried the 12 inch of course, lol. the middles is just large unopened cans of canned fruit I think they are the 29oz size they are about 4 inches across the top and like 5 inches tall, but you could use any cans you wanted and then I just wrapped a strip of wrapping paper around it and held that together with double stick tape, I liked to use the cans because the weight of them made the stand more sturdy. With the cake bases I just traced the bases cut two peices of wrapping paper for each one for the top and bottom if you wanted I put them on the bottom too just for looks and to cover up the cellophane I explain that later. I attatched the wrapping paper to the bases putting strips of double stick tape around the outer edges and that worked well. Then I put double stick tape around the edges and put my ribbon on, my ribbon was 5/8 inch and worked fine with the 1/2 inch cake base sides. I also put clear cellphane on the tops of each base but I don't think that is necessary if you use grease proof baking cups I used foil and they weren't greasy at all and that would have saved me a step, but I was just paranoid it being my first cupcake stand, but if you put a cake or something on it you want to cover it in cellophane the frosting leaves grease marks on the wrapping paper. And if you do decide to do that then you will need to put that on after you cover the top of your base. Then just cut out a circle of the cellophane about 2 inches bigger than the base and then tuck it under and scure it with scotch tape making the sides and bottom as smooth as possible and then I put my wrapping paper on the bottom to cover up the tape and then I put my ribbon on, if all that makes sense. Then to make it more stable I just put big chunks of sticky tack on the tops and bottoms of each can but if you don't have a cake on the top you might want to put maybe some flowers or something heavy on top because that will be the least sturdy base if every one grabs cupcakes from one side then I could see that base falling off, but if you think of another way to secure the bases let me know this is still a work in progress, but It seemed sturdy enough unless someone totally ran into the table hard or something. I liked making mine this way because then I can reuse everything and just rip all the paper and ribbon off and start with a new theme. I hope this helps I know everyone loved mine and if you need any help along the way just send me an email I check it everyday!!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 11:10pm
post #4 of 5
blueeyes6077 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueeyes6077 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:37pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks everyone! Sorry it took me so long to thank you my youngest was sick yesterday icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%