Fondant Revealed

Decorating By caked4life Updated 11 Nov 2009 , 9:19pm by iwantcookies

caked4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caked4life Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 11

Do you add anything to your store bought fondant to improve the taste?

Candy oilsetc.?

10 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 4:09pm
post #2 of 11

Store bought fondant=a.-expensive, and b. gross tasting no matter what you do to it.

MMF and MFF (my personal fave) = CHEAAAAAAAP, and absolutely delicious!

You can search out the recipes in here. MFF-Michelle Foster Fondant, and MMF-marshmallow fondant.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 11

I think Satin Ice Vanilla Fondant tastes good. I definitely prefer to eat BC instead of any fondant but I don't add anything to my satin ice fondant.

It is more expensive but at some point the cost is worth saving the time to make fondant. When I first decided to switch to satin ice it was because I was paying by the hour for my kitchen rental and figured it worked out to the same price in the end anyway by the time I added an extra hour or two of kitchen time.

If you can afford to buy a bigger bucket than you need you might save a few dollars and then just be sure you keep the fondant in the bucket air tight and do not introduce bacteria into the bucket, so no bare handed scooping and be sure you use sanitized tools to dig it out.

If you really want an easy way to add some flavor without kneading it in forever and making a slimy mess you could give your cake a really light spray (airbrush) with some clear vanilla or almond extract after the fondant is on the cake. You might need to dilute it a bit with some vodka if the flavor is too strong though.

Jennzoe333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennzoe333 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 4:45pm
post #4 of 11

I make all my fondant, except for black. I like to buy Satin Ice black because it's just so much work to turn fondant black. A 5 pound bucket has lasted me quite a while and has really saved on the hands!

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 11

I am glad I found Fonderific. Some of their flavors are really good now I dont have to flavor store bought but if I'm making my own (I really like Toba Garretts recipe) I add the flavoring in with my liguid. Much easier

badkitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badkitty Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 5:30pm
post #6 of 11

Lemon Fondarific on NFSC is wonderful. Haven't tried it on a cake yet. For the people who don't like as much lemon flavor, I just blended it with a little MMF.

Personally I like fondant in any version (other than Wilton of course). But it really comes down to personal preference. Some of us like one thing, some another!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 6:37pm
post #7 of 11

Wilton fondant can be quite cheap ($10 for 5 pounds if purchased with a coupon at Michael's) and can be flavored very well with LorAnn candy oils or even unsweetened Kool-Aid mix.

Lately, because my pails of Satin Ice fondant have been quite soft, I have been adding some Wilton fondant to the Satin Ice fondant. It improves the texture but does not diminish or alter the flavor. Satin Ice fondant has a pretty strong taste to start with.

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 7:12pm
post #8 of 11

I don't use a lot of fondant, mind you, but I use Satin Ice and usually add a touch of strawberry or raspberry candy oil. I don't add much, only enough to impart just a slight flavor. But it complements almost every cake flavor I make. I'm too lazy to make MMF, lol! I feel more confident in the premade stuff.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 7:31pm
post #9 of 11

I ordered a 20 lb. bucket of satin ice for $60.00 and it costs me around $2.00 to make 1 lb. of MMF.....so $3.00/lb. already made ready to go OR $2.00/lb. and 30 minutes of making fondant and messing up my kitchen????? I buy my fondant now!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 8:57pm
post #10 of 11

Check of Jennifer Dontz's DVD. She adds something to her fondant. It is the best tasting fondant I've ever had...seriously.

iwantcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iwantcookies Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 9:19pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Quote:

Check of Jennifer Dontz's DVD. She adds something to her fondant. It is the best tasting fondant I've ever had...seriously.

ooh! i just bought her fondant dvd!! Waiting eagerly til it arrives!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%