Buttercream Frosting Under Fondant - Refrigerated?

Decorating By cserwa Updated 12 Nov 2009 , 2:21am by jammjenks

cserwa Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 10

I baked a giant sheet cake, soccer ball cake, and mini-wonder mold cake for a belly cake I'm doing for the first time for a shower on Saturday. Those are all frozen. I'm covering with MFF. I despise shortening. My frostings are all buttercream made with butter. My question is - if I cover the cake in frosting and then cover in fondant, do I have to refrigerate the cake, or does the fondant "preserve" whatever is in the frosting? If so, will the frosting still be good tasting? Or do I frost, cover in fondant, and then refrigerate? But I've heard to never refrigerate fondant because of condensation issues...

Any advice or means of tackling this???

Thanks so much!

9 replies
alvarezmom Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 4:08pm
post #2 of 10

I never put fondant covered cakes back int he fridge. After I crum coat (in BC) and apply fondant I leave the cake out. I've never had any problems with the filling turning bad.

cserwa Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 10:40pm
post #3 of 10

Are you using shortening or butter based buttercream? That's my concern - that if I use butter, I'll HAVE to refrigerate overnight to prevent spoilage.

cserwa Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 12:35am
post #4 of 10

Anyone? If I use actual BUTTER cream, do I have to refrigerate a fondant cake? Please help! TIA.

Elise87 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 12:46am
post #5 of 10

nope if you are using a recipe that has just butter, icing sugar, water and falvouring u don't need to refridgerate. I use a butter buttercream all the time cose i don't like shortening either and i don't refridgerate icon_smile.gif

jammjenks Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 12:48am
post #6 of 10

no. No need to refridgerate.

prterrell Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 1:58am
post #7 of 10

Butter itself does not have to be refrigerated (will stay good out on the counter for a week to 10 days). The sugar in the buttercream extends that life by several more weeks.

KathysCC Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:08am
post #8 of 10

No, the sugar stabilizes the butter and keeps it from going bad for quite some time.

cserwa Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:13am
post #9 of 10

You guys have made my day not only by answering, but also by providing the answer I was hoping for! Thank you so much!

For a Saturday morning cake, I intend on covering in buttercream Friday, putting in fridge for an hour or so, covering in fondant, and just leaving out overnight until I bring it to my friend's shower on Saturday. Sound right?

jammjenks Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:21am
post #10 of 10

Sounds like you've got it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%