Announcing Makeyourownmolds (Myom) To Cakecentral

Decorating By Jackie Updated 7 Jul 2010 , 1:16pm by MYOM-Dominic

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:42am
post #31 of 64

Hi, Dominic, so glad to see you here! I took a hands-on class at ICES in Orlando (the round bottle mold) and loved it and your products. How about a tutorial on jewelry replication icon_razz.gif

kcjc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcjc Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 3:10am
post #32 of 64

Hi Dominic,
Can't believe this. Just watched your videos on the lace mold last week. I was glued and fascinated with each step. Am so anxious to make a purchase with my next paycheck to try my hand at some molds.
This is great and welcome !
Thank you CC "execs" for yet again hooking us up with continued help and education..and not to mention FUN!
Karen

MYOM-Dominic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MYOM-Dominic Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 1:26pm
post #33 of 64

ibmoser - I really appreciate your request on how to replicate jewelry. I will make a video on that very subject in the next two weeks. As a bonus, I would like to send you the mold that I make in appreciation for your suggestion. Oh and Rylan, I haven't forgotten your request on how to make a bead mold - I am still working out a method that is easy and will produce good results - I will send you the mold that I make when I produce the video. This kind of feedback is very valuable to me because it helps me plan videos that this community would like to see.

Does anyone else have ideas?????

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 1:30pm
post #34 of 64

Golly, gee, WOW!! I'm so excited - thank you! Waiting with bated breath..... icon_lol.gif

BREN28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BREN28 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 1:58pm
post #35 of 64

i got to see the video with you and martha stewart,when you made the flower and dog head lolly pops. AWESOME! can't wait to see other video's you come up with. im so excited to learn to learn something new! welcome to cc !!

brenda

alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:33pm
post #36 of 64

Welcome to CakeCentral Dominic. Is this product something that you could make a coke/beer bottle mold with?

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:54pm
post #37 of 64

Dear Chef Welcome!
I've seen your video too! Just love it! Please, Please make a tutorial on pearl or bead molds, I have been practicing with another product, didn't like how they came out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Hammy

jab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jab Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 3:09pm
post #38 of 64

Welcome MYOM. I too have seen some of your videos. Funny, I have them saved in my favorites, so I can go right to your site and now all I have to do is log into my favorite site CC. Yeah!! I am just a hobbist but plan to buy some of this silicone stuff to make molds with!! I love making beautiful cakes and learning new things everyday. WELCOME.

jab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jab Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 3:17pm
post #39 of 64

Welcome MYOM. I too have seen some of your videos. Funny, I have them saved in my favorites, so I can go right to your site and now all I have to do is log into my favorite site CC. Yeah!! I am just a hobbist but plan to buy some of this silicone stuff to make molds with!! I love making beautiful cakes and learning new things everyday. WELCOME.

MYOM-Dominic Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 3:57pm
post #40 of 64

Alene - You most certainly can make a bottle mold. Okay, so I am definitely making a video on replicating jewelry. After that, I have requests for Bead Mold and Bottle Mold. I also want to make a video "How To Cook, Hold, Color, Pour and Store Isomalt - Secrets Revealed!" You will even learn how to cook isomalt clear with no browning. So, lets have a vote - I would like Cake Central members to weigh in on which of these topics they would like to see first or suggest other topics they think are more interesting. Can you guys get the word out?

mommakeef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakeef Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 4:19pm
post #41 of 64

I have wanted to make a bottle mold for a while now. I just have no idea which products to purchase!! I vote for that video tutorial first! And then the sugar one so i can finish the bottle! icon_wink.gif Then I'll have to jump over to your site and buy all the products I need!

rltmeng Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rltmeng Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 4:21pm
post #42 of 64

Hello Dominic and welcome. I am really glad you mentioned a "how to cook isomalt clear without browning" I was just going to ask that. I really appreciate your help on how to make such beautiful things. icon_smile.gif

alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 4:45pm
post #43 of 64

You could start a new thread and do a poll question to see what kind of feedback you get.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 2:26am
post #44 of 64

I vote for the isomalt video. I need to make ice and want it to be clear.

BREN28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BREN28 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 1:51pm
post #45 of 64

i vote for how to make a bottle mold,but what ever you decide to "teach" us first is going to be interesting!! can't wait!! i also remember in one of the threads you mentioned how to make a tiara with a mold,would love to see how thats done!

maddie90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maddie90 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 2:47pm
post #46 of 64

Could this product be used to make a veiner? I was going to buy a silicone mold product to try making my own leaf veiner.

MYOM-Dominic Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 5:11pm
post #47 of 64

Hi maddie90 - You can make an excellent leaf veiner with silicone plastique. Watch the video on lace because you would use the same process with a leaf. You want to place the leaf back side up so that all the good detail on the underside of the leaf gets copied by the silicone. Once your leaf mold is made, you would apply a small amount of Release Dit on the inside of the leaf mold and then fill the mold with more silicone plastique. In an hour out pops your leaf veiner.

Bren28 - So, you would like to see a video on the Tiara? Great idea. I'm putting it in the schedule. Yes, I'll send you the mold. video.

Tiggy - rltmeng - Isomalt is coming - I have discovered tons of info. through my own testing and am putting together all the support products that you may want in order to produce an inventory of Isomalt pieces that will last for months.

alene, - I am starting a new thread like you suggested.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 8:50pm
post #48 of 64

Hi Dominic, I vote for everythinggggg!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif okay, okay I'll act 'grown up' icon_sad.gif so, I vote for the jewelery/beads video icon_smile.gif
And I do have a quick question for you...I've read here that your products have an expiration date, but are you talking about after you make a mold it will eventually expire?? I want my molds to last forever icon_cry.gif

Ok, thank you for your patience.
Rosie

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 9:14pm
post #49 of 64

I am so delighted to find you on CC now! I, like Maddie, want to make leaf veiners, actually double sided leaf molds. You patiently described the process to me over the telephone, but I am one of the last people in the world to have a slow dial-up, way out here in the boonies. A video course is nearly impossible for me. Is there any possibility of a photo series I can print out? (I haven't made the molds yet, primarily because the leaves I intended to use are now mush on the ground and I can't really decipher the hasty notes I took when you described the process to me.) Good to know the expiration time limit. Hope spring and new leaves come soon before it loses its ooomph.

MYOM-Dominic Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 12:34am
post #50 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmaid42

I am so delighted to find you on CC now! I, like Maddie, want to make leaf veiners, actually double sided leaf molds. You patiently described the process to me over the telephone, but I am one of the last people in the world to have a slow dial-up, way out here in the boonies. A video course is nearly impossible for me. Is there any possibility of a photo series I can print out? (I haven't made the molds yet, primarily because the leaves I intended to use are now mush on the ground and I can't really decipher the hasty notes I took when you described the process to me.) Good to know the expiration time limit. Hope spring and new leaves come soon before it loses its ooomph.

Milkmaid - I have answered your question by creating a new topic about it. Let me know if it helps.

Dominic

cakedivamommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedivamommy Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 7:05am
post #51 of 64

Dominic,

This technique is amazing! I am so very glad that I stumbled upon this new forum. My question is, how do you use this to make a mold of something with slot of details. With having 2 sons myself and lots of friends with boys I find myself always making airplanes and trains. Being able to make a mold would save me so much time! I am concerned that I would not be able to get all of the detail. Would I do the side/top/whole thing? Thank you for any and all information!

Lisa

MYOM-Dominic Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 2:51pm
post #52 of 64

Hi Lisa,

You have some good questions and I will try to answer them as best as I can. First of all, it is important to decide how much of an object you want to duplicate, I have found that many first timers want to make a 3d, two sided mold of an object when oftentimes it is not necessary. You see, making a two sided mold to capture an entire object can greatly complicate the mold making process. By complicated, I don't mean difficult because all mold making is simply a combination of easy steps performed in the proper sequence. So let me ask you this question. The planes and trains you want to make-- will they be sitting on top of a cake? If so, how important is it to capture the bottom of them when this surface will be face down on a cake and not exposed to full view? If your answer is that capturing the bottom is not all that important, then my advice to you is, press the plane or train down on some softened Safe-D-Clay and apply the mold making material of your choice over the sides and top of the object. Once cured, you will have a food grade, flexible mold that can be used for fondant, gumpaste, chocolate, candy or almost anything you want to use.

If it is important to capture all sides of the object, then you will need to make a two sided mold. Learning how to capture detail and to make a one sided mold or the process for making 3d (two sided molds) is extensively covered on my website under "How To Make Molds." Go to: http://www.makeyourownmolds.com/how-to-make-molds and sit back and read how it is done.

If you would like me to tutor you through the process, I would be happy to do so. I would ask that you take pictures of the object and send them to me in a new topic in my forum. I will give you step by step instructions which you can perform and then send new pictures which I will inspect and then counsel you on the best step to take in order to make a great mold that you can use with confidence.

Dominic icon_smile.gif

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 6:09pm
post #53 of 64

Dominic, I just want to thank you for how willing you are to answer our questions, even to offering personal help! (I'm still waiting for my leaves to return in the spring. Meanwhile I am still scouting around for other objects to use.) Thanks again.

Rosie2 Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 10:26pm
post #54 of 64

Hi Dominic, I'd like to know if the molds expire or is it only the liquid silicone that expires??
Thank you,

MYOM-Dominic Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 12:38am
post #55 of 64

Hi Rosie,

My silicone materials should be used within a year of delivery to you. One year and a half is possible and two years is definitely pushing it. All silicone mold making materials lose their reactivity over time.

Hope This Helps,
Dominic

Rosie2 Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 5:00pm
post #56 of 64

For some reason I can't add this thread to my 'watched topics' folder...anyone else having the same problem?

MYOM-Dominic Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 6:22pm
post #57 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie2

Hi Dominic, I'd like to know if the molds expire or is it only the liquid silicone that expires??
Thank you,

All silicone mold making materials lose their reactivity over time. You should use my silicone mold making products within one year from delivery. One and a half years is possible and your really pushing it if you do not use them in two years. Once my mold making materials have been combined and made into a mold, the shelf life question does not apply. My products, once cured, have an indefinite shelf life and will not degrade or deteriorate as a result of aging.

Dominic icon_smile.gif

Rosie2 Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 5:57pm
post #58 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYOM-Dominic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie2

Thank you,

All silicone mold making materials lose their reactivity over time. You should use my silicone mold making products within one year from delivery. One and a half years is possible and your really pushing it if you do not use them in two years. Once my mold making materials have been combined and made into a mold, the shelf life question does not apply. My products, once cured, have an indefinite shelf life and will not degrade or deteriorate as a result of aging.

Dominic icon_smile.gif

Ahhhh, that's reassuring!! thank you very much for answering my questiosn Dominic icon_smile.gif

rltmeng Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rltmeng Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 2:13pm
post #59 of 64

Hi Dominic, Sugarveil has a lace mat that can be used to make lace with sugarveil. Is it possible to make those same type of flat lace mats with your product? If so, that would be great, I could make all kinds of lace patterns icon_smile.gif Thanks, Lisa

MYOM-Dominic Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 7:27pm
post #60 of 64

Hi rltmeg - I think that you could make a mold that would work well with Sugar Veil. But, you would not make the lace mold like I show in my video. In this situation, you might try setting the lace on top of sheeted safe d clay that is larger than the lace piece. Apply Silicone Plastique only to the lace and only on top of the clay. We do not want to make a cavity here. You are basically making an impression mat. Once the silicone plastique is cured, remove it and try applying Sugar Veil according to their instructions. Don't forget that the lace has to be treated first with Seal-Dit or you will not be able to remove it from the Silicone Plastique. You should also use a piece of lace that has very prominent and thick weave.

Hope This Helps,
Dominic icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%