Newbie- How Do I Apply Luster Dust

Decorating By pankake Updated 12 Nov 2009 , 12:52am by pankake

pankake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pankake Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 3:56am
post #1 of 6

Hi there,

I have just started cake decorating and have my first cake on Saturday to do for a Christening.

What I would like to know is I am making some stars out of fondant and would like to know how I can 'paint' the luster dust on them. The luster dust is pink but I don't know if i should form it into a paste and brush it on or what will help it stick easily?

Thanks everyone for all your help. These forums are fanstasic for us beginners to get some valuable tricks of the trade. icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 3:58am
post #2 of 6

You will need to mix your luster dust with some alcohol-based extract such as clear vanilla, to make a paint.

HTH.

ksmith1012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksmith1012 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 4:06am
post #3 of 6

You can also use vodka.

AmandaGudi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaGudi Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 4:11am
post #4 of 6

Hi there!
I did a cake about a month ago that had some grey accents that I wanted to be silver. So i bought the silver pearl or luster dust and wasn't quite sure how to put it on so i cut a piece of extra grey fondant and tried a couple different ways. The first way was just to dust the powder on with a small artists brush. It turned out cool but I also wanted to try to "paint" it on so I mixed a small amount of the powder with lemon extract (which I was taught in Wilton Class) and it forms a sort of paint. So I put that on a piece of extra fondant and it looked AWESOME it really made it pop. I did have to let it dry and then put a second coat on though to make it evenly "painted."
Hope this helps!

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 4:20am
post #5 of 6

You can apply the dust wet or dry. For a light sheen you can just paint it on dry with a paint brush. If you want a heavier shiny look, just mix it with some alcohol (I used clear vanilla flavoring) and paint that on.

I agree with the person who said to do some experimenting on a piece of fondant to get the look you want.

pankake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pankake Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 12:52am
post #6 of 6

Fantastic. Thank you all so much for your helpful replies. I am very excited about doing my first 'proper' cake so i want it to be perfect icon_smile.gif

Thanks again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%