Italian Buttercream For Kids?

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 11 Nov 2009 , 4:40pm by LeanneW

cakesrock Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 2:16am
post #1 of 4

I've never made or eaten Italian buttercream. Is it kid friendly? or more geared towards an adult palate?
Also, does it do well under MMF?

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

3 replies
LaBellaFlor Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 2:24am
post #2 of 4

My kids eat it...though I do think it's more adult friendly...and by kids theres 7 of them 19 to 1 so I think I got a good opionion base, and yes, it's great under MMf.

ceshell Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 7:07am
post #3 of 4

^__^ What she said icon_biggrin.gif. It's technically geared towards an adult palate because it is not sugary sweet, and the younger kiddos are used to shortening+powdered sugar grocery store icing. But my 5yo daughter loves the stuff, probably because it is so creamy and delicious. Just be sure to use plenty of vanilla in the recipe - approx 3TBSP. I love the Cake Bible's Mousseline Buttercream recipe for IMBC, it's very easy to make and I had successful results the very first time (but I do up the vanilla).

Also if you are worried about egg safety, you CAN make this with pasteurized whites, although some brands do not whip up. I have no idea what brands will work in Canada but you'll know the instant they whip into meringue (or not). Many people swear that the hot sugar syrup cooks the meringue to safe temp but I don't take chances since I often find myself baking for kids or baby showers.

Just some unsolicited advice icon_smile.gif

For use under fondant, just chill first till rock hard.

LeanneW Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 4:40pm
post #4 of 4

remember to cook your syrup to 240 degrees and you shouldn't have problems with food safety. you will get more volume in your meringue if you use fresh eggs but I have made it with pasteurized whites and it works fine.

I don't see why kids wouldn't like this. It's frosting on a cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%