A Big Heavy Bucketful Of Nuttin'.

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 12 Dec 2009 , 10:45pm by sadsmile

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 2:06am
post #1 of 14

Most of my cake disaster stories start out with "I got off of my 30-hour shift at the hospital, and am now doing something stupid" ... well, this is no exception.
I finished at 1 pm, then came home and mixed a straight-up WASC - I could do it in my sleep, no bells or whistles. WASC. Simple, right? Except I had gotten all the ingredients out for a Hot Chocolate WASC I was planning on doing as well, and accidentally started adding my CHOCOLATE milk to the simple WASC. Stopped myself after only half a cup, so it really wasn't TOO bad, color is still relatively preserved and it certainly doesn't taste like chocolate. Whatever ... it turned out fine, but I should have known it would only get worse. I mixed a large batch of Hot Chocolate WASC (my go-to recipe for when I need chocolate cake, I LOVE this recipe as well!), and put it in the oven as well. First off, the thing overflowed rapidly, but I couldn't open the oven door to clean it off the oven's floor without risking the cakes falling, so I had to endure the gross burnt smell the whole time. And second, even though I left it in for the exact same amount of time as usual, and the cakes bounced back when I pushed on the tops at the end, and everything was actually done (no smooshy-mosshy centers anywhere), the whole thing was so stinking SOFT in texture that it COMPLETELY fell apart as soon as I tried to unmold it!! Completely!!! I have no idea what went wrong with it ... I know I had all the eggs, I know I didn't have too much liquid in it, and (since the whole thing is all stuffed into a big tupperware bucket now) I'm positive it wasn't underdone, it's all quite "cake -y" ... just soft as anything, and unable to hold its own shape. Terrible!

So, here I go, off to mix another batch. #($%)%*@)!!!! Thanks for letting me vent icon_smile.gif.

13 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 2:34am
post #2 of 14

princess.gif "The sun will come out tomorrow, tomorrow, but your bottom dollar that tomorrow, come what mayyyyy...tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya, tomorrow, Your only a dayyyy aaa wayyyyyyyyyyy..."

icon_rolleyes.gif I didn't know how else to cheer you up.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 2:44am
post #3 of 14

Let the cake cool in the pan quite a bit longer and you'll be fine.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 10:37pm
post #4 of 14

I see cake balls in your near future. Yummy. You know what they say when the good Lord gives you a cake disaster, (if its edible) make cake balls. At least there is an upside.

emiyeric Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 7:44pm
post #5 of 14

LaBellaFlor and cabecakes: LOL, too funny! Yes, cake balls it is icon_smile.gif.
Leah_s: I know you're right, and I should have left it in longer, but from the moment I took the cakes out and bounced them around a little like I usually do, the texture was already off and they had already started to crumble. The next set I baked worked well, got my usual texture out of it. Not sure what I did differently, but I am pretty confident it was my fault, seeing as how I was operating on half a battery at that point icon_smile.gif.

Thanks again for letting me blow off some cake steam! icon_smile.gif

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:04pm
post #6 of 14

well after a "30 hour" shift, I'm suprised you had the energy to make a cake...I work 12 hours and I can barely get my teeth brushed when I get home...so kudos for even trying.

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:18pm
post #7 of 14

things will get better!! hang in there!!!!!

dtdonnahoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dtdonnahoo Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 12:00pm
post #8 of 14

I'm a night shift girl and come home to 3 little kids. AKA I get sleep deprivation! Most of my disasters are coming off no sleep as well! icon_cry.gif
Glad to know the rebake worked icon_biggrin.gif

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 8:13pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiyeric

Hot Chocolate WASC.

is there a recipe for this? sounds yum yum yummy

emiyeric Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:10am
post #10 of 14

Sherrycanary, yes, absolutely! Look up the "Help! Gourmet flavors" thread (or you can look at my profile and pull up my posts ... there are plenty of posts I've put on that thread, and it will lead you right there). On that thread, there are several people who have a link in their signature for a google doc which has been put together mainly by Macsmom (as a matter of fact, she was the first poster to answer o this thread, so if you go to the very first page, she is the second one down). She has the most AMAZING recipes you could ever imagine! The google doc has a HUGE list of them which she has been generous enough to share!!

Good luck!

-Emi.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 12:50am
post #11 of 14

Keep your chin up!!!

Jen icon_smile.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 1:19am
post #12 of 14

Mama said there'd be days like this. There'd days like this my momma said. Mamma said, momma said.

La, la,la,la la la la

Now here a few things to cheer you up...

There don't you feel better? (((HUGS)))

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 8:22pm
post #13 of 14

well if she doesn't I DO!!!!! too cute

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 10:45pm
post #14 of 14

Yeah it makes me want to run right out and get a hedgehog! I hear they have quite the personalities! But with 3 indoor cats I am not sure that would work out. They might get pretty upset that this ugly little poky thing is taking all of their attention away. I just sat down while my 2yo was taking a nap and our oldest cat Oreo took advantage of my lap and we both fell asleep too. He's such a fat baby(22lbs of a huge firkin cat)) and always curls up on his back to be cradled.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%