Chocolate Cake, White Chocolate Ganache...under Fondant?

Baking By ThreePrinces Updated 11 Nov 2009 , 6:58am by FromScratch

ThreePrinces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreePrinces Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 1:47am
post #1 of 6

I don't even know if this flavor combination would be any good;

But I'm wanting a very moist chocolate cake with possibly a white chocolate ganache to cover..and then be able to put fondant over it. (I love Rhonda's ultimate fondant from here on CC.)

Possible? Any other suggestions? Please point me to some good recipes!

(this is just for 2 nine inch rounds.)

5 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 2:44am
post #2 of 6

Everything you ever wanted to know about ganache:
(Overview, master and other recipes including white chocolate. Also how to glaze, smooth, stack and more.)

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-657830-.html

Pretty comprehensive mud cake super thread (includes recipes):

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-618400-.html

HTH

ThreePrinces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreePrinces Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 2:53am
post #3 of 6

Thank you for your response - looks interesting!

I do have one quick question, someone mentioned the cakes being rather flat and having to double to have 4 layers...or did I read that incorrectly? If I'm just making a simple 2 or 3 layer cake, would I need to double the recipe?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 6:05am
post #4 of 6

Boonenati's chocolate mud cake recipe makes enough batter for two 3" deep 8 inch diameter rounds. How tall did you want to make your cake layers?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 6:27am
post #5 of 6

Just a heads up that white chocolate ganache, to make it thick enough to pour and set over a cake, takes a TON of white chocolate as compared to dark chocolate.

I love whipped white ganache as a filling but to me it seems so strong and gooey and somewhat oily as regular ganache.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 6:58am
post #6 of 6

Yes... and white chocolate ganache takes longer to set up too. I personally don't care for it. It's very sweet... way too sweet for my tastes and I think it tastes odd, but I am a bittersweet chocolate kind of a girl so take my opinion with that in mind.

Mudcake, while good, is very different in texture and density than what most americans are used to. I don't really care for the dark/milk chocolate versions, but the white chocolate version I made was okay (odd hmmm since I hate white chocolate). I think you would do well with the Double Chocolate Layer Cake from Epicurious.com. It's rich and moist and nice and chocolatey and would do well against the super sweet white chocolate. My favorite thing to fill it with is chocolate mousse. I usually just use swiss meringue buttercream to ice it and put fondant over it, but if you want to go with ganache even a dark chocolate ganache wouldn't be too much.

When you make ganache... with the dark chocolate you can do a 1.5:1 chocolate to cream but with the white chocolate you should use a 3:1 ratio and be VERY careful how warm your cream is... white chocolate scorches very easily and once it breaks... there's no getting it back. (not to scare you... just from experience... nothing is worse than throwing away 2 pounds of chocolate because it siezed on you)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%