Painting Vs. Rolling In Color (Gumpaste/fondant)

Decorating By chillysmommy Updated 5 Apr 2017 , 1:34am by ElizabethsCakeCreations

chillysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chillysmommy Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 1:29am
post #1 of 7

I was wondering how (with what) I would go about 'painting' gumpaste/fondant instead of or in addition to rolling in color. It's sometimes hard to know how much fondant a figure or part of a figure needs so I end up with a ton of little leftovers of different colors. Plus it's a pain to roll in the gel colors sometimes. It would seem, in some cases, to be easier to shape all the characters/flowers/geometric pieces at one time in white and get that all done. Then go back and paint the pieces you want in color. Am I not thinking correctly? Is it just as nice to paint them or would it be better to use colored fondant?

If I do paint them, what should I use? I know I can use a clear vanilla or some time of alcohol with a gel color, but I think I've seen a powder color???? Help!

-michele

6 replies
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 4:30am
post #2 of 7

For smaller pieces, I much prefer to paint fondant and/or gumpaste. It also gives it a deeper color and you don't waste as much color. Kneading the color in is not only tedious, it's painful for me, as I have bad wrists. (I plan to invest in an airbrush soon). I just use a bit of gel color and vodka and find that does that trick. I've never tried powdered colors.

Maybe there are advantages to kneading in the color, but I haven't discovered them yet.

Though, I'm sure there are decorators out there that feel differently. icon_biggrin.gif

chillysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chillysmommy Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 6:37pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks! I tried painting on color mixed with vanilla and I get a lot streaking and not a solid tone. Am I doing something wrong? Help!

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 12:49am
post #4 of 7

Vodka evaporates better and so does lemon extract. I'm not sure about vanilla. But you have to do 'coats' so it seems streaky at first, but go over it a couple of times. I've also added corn syrup in the past and found that it makes a nice paint. But it still remains a bit tacky for a longer drying period. good luck!

ElizabethsCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 4 Apr 2017 , 7:19pm
post #5 of 7

Bumping an old thread. I have a cake that includes  a 10" black tier. I really want to need my white into black would it be crazy to paint an entire tier? Have I mentioned I hate kneading? 

fondantslinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantslinger Posted 4 Apr 2017 , 10:27pm
post #6 of 7

Black an purple seem to be the toughest colors to get exact. You can wind up using bottle after bottle to get the right black. Personally I buy black fondant. Manufacturers do it in large lots so color is precise. Renshaw puts out beautiful colors an a beautiful easy to work with fondant..the only kind I use for taste an texture.

ElizabethsCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 5 Apr 2017 , 1:34am
post #7 of 7

Oh I will next time I have an order but it wasn't financially sound to order it this time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%