Is It Ok To Attend A Craft Show Advertising My Cakes?

Decorating By luvofpaints Updated 11 Nov 2009 , 2:05pm by SecretAgentCakeBaker

luvofpaints Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvofpaints Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 12:39am
post #1 of 7

I have asked around and got a few different answers so I figured here would be the best to ask. I am wanting to attend some kind of event to start getting my cakes out there a little more. However I am not sure if a craft fair is suitable. Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

6 replies
jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 12:49am
post #2 of 7

If you are not a legal business....it is illegal to advertise your cakes, anywhere, any how, any way.

JMO....let the crap hit the fan.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 12:57am
post #3 of 7

That is good advice. The first thing someone wanting to sell cakes made from home should do is check if it is legal to sell cake from home in your State and County. If it is legal then see about licencing and insurance. Then once you are all set advertise away and make cakes until your heart is content. But go through the proper channels to avoid illegal trouble. And a craft fair is a great place. You can ask for a booth, bring samples and sellable items like a bake sale. Have a protfolio and guestbook and buisness cards. thumbs_up.gif

luvofpaints Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvofpaints Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 1:31am
post #4 of 7

I have already checked with my state and county and I am permitted to sell from home. So I know that area I am covered on

cfao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfao Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 1:45pm
post #5 of 7

It's worth a try. When I first started in business, we did a wedding expo in January and then my husband suggusted doing the home show that spring at the same convention center.(I thought he was nuts) I actually did it for a couple of years to get my name out and it worked! Most grooms hated to be dragged to a wedding expo, but they love home shows with the spas, outdoor sheds, carpenters, etc. and we really stood out amid all of the normal exhibitors. Many engaged couples are also new home owners or want to be, so it was great.

You never know what will work until you give it a try. A craft show will pull parents and grandparents and if you have a brochure to give out, they will pick them up and hand it to couple.

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 2:04pm
post #6 of 7

If you are legal then craft fairs are perfect to get your cards out at. I am in Uk but I also do art fairs and exhibitions as Cake decorating comes under so many titles, craft, art, baking, home there are so many places you can advertise your art.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 2:05pm
post #7 of 7

A craft show can be hit or miss for any type of item. I've done some (not for cakes) that I made only $10 for the day and others that I made over $500. (I know some people that have made over $1000, again not cakes.) Basically, you'll just have to try it and see wat happens. Here are some tips that I've learned over the years.

Make sure to ask the show coordinators if food items are allowed. Many craft shows do not allow food to be sold at the show.

Shows in my area require a sales tax number and you have to display the certificate at your booth, so ask about that as well.

Also, unless you are getting an amazing price on a booth/table, then stay away from the really small, or first year shows. A lot of times they have very low attendance. Make sure the show is advertised well. The longer running craft shows generally have good attendance. If you don't have to pay for the booth/table and only have to give a percentage of sales, then it might be worth it to go to a small show.

Another thing to think about is the type of shopper that generally attend that particular type of craft show. Some shows mostly have seniors attending, that are on fixed incomes. Would you be selling items in their price range, or are your items more expensive? If so, then you would not have many sales.

Lastly, find out if you will be the only vendor of your type or if there are going to be others. If there are others, make sure to ask that you not be placed near them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%