Help! Need A Wavy Board!

Decorating By endymion Updated 12 Nov 2009 , 1:43am by gleep

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 11:32pm
post #1 of 2

I have been trying for days to figure this one out; maybe someone out there can help me.

I'm planning to make a mushroom cake and I have this idea in my mind that the BOTTOM of the mushroom cap tier needs to have a gentle wave to it. I do not want it flat on the bottom.

I've made a pillow cake, so carving the cake does not scare me. But what the heck can I use for a cake board, to support the tier so it holds its shape?

The only ideas I've had (all of them bad!) are these:

1. An old 45 music record, somehow melted and warped similar to the shape I'd need. (This would have the advantage of having a hole in the middle for dowling the cake. I'm thinking maybe I could cover the record with multiple layers of plastic wrap OR seal it with a coat of food-safe varnish.)

2. Making something out of paper mache and then sealing it with food-safe varnish or plastic wrap.

3. Buying a piece of metal and cutting with tin snips, and trying to bend it into the shape I want. Bt then how would I put the hole in the middle? (I'm not so skilled with power tools... nor do I actually own any! icon_biggrin.gif

4. Going to the local acrylic and glass shop, so see if they can custom-make something for me (I probably couldn't afford it, though!)

5. Taking the lid of a cheap round tin, and trying to form it into the correct shape ... but then I'd need to put a hole in the middle of it and like I said before, I'm not sure how to do that.

Anybody ever done something like this before, or have any ideas or advice for me?

Thanks in advance!

1 reply
gleep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gleep Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 1:43am
post #2 of 2

Put the cake on a flat board then form the "wave" part out of rice krispy treats glued to the bottom of the board with chocolate or white chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%