Shopping Bag Cake

Decorating By annabanana183 Updated 14 Nov 2009 , 10:43pm by annabanana183

annabanana183 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annabanana183 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 10:58pm
post #1 of 8

Calling all experts,,,
I have to make a standing shopping bag cake for this weekend, up till now I am planning to make 6 layers of cake and put a cake board in the middle. my question is about covering the sides with fondant.

should I just cover it like a square cake, or cutting four separate pieces and putting them on the cake. I saw on tv the someone had their large pieces of fondants falling off of the cake..I don't want that happening.
any tips for either process and how to make the tissue so neat would be greatly appreciated.. icon_confused.gif
thank you
LL

7 replies
MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 2:02am
post #2 of 8

When I did my shopping bag cake, I did side panels, it was pretty easy. I measured and cut the size I needed, then before applying to the cake, I stuck them in the freezer for a few minutes, it made them easier to handle. Then I just dampened my buttercream and applied. As for the tissue, I used gumpaste rolled very thin, cut it in squares and placed on a cookie sheet that had crumpled up aluminum foil on it to dry. HTH!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 2:26am
post #3 of 8

It probably would also be easier to do panels as well. Can you see having to cover it in one piece...smoothly. I shudder.

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 2:37pm
post #4 of 8

I would do panels or wrap it around. Measure your height and circumferance and cut a piece to wrap around if you are nervous about pieces falling off.

Good luck

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 3:49pm
post #5 of 8

Your panels are not going to fall off, especially if you glue the seams with gum glue!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 9:38pm
post #6 of 8

Cute cake! I love the tissue paper ruffles on the top of the bag!

thecakeprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakeprincess Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 9:45pm
post #7 of 8

I would do panels.

annabanana183 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annabanana183 Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 10:43pm
post #8 of 8

thank you so much every one for ur great tips.. I did the panels and it went really well...
thax once again icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%