First Wedding Cake, First Disaster

Decorating By sweetsomething Updated 15 Nov 2009 , 2:07pm by JenniferMI

sweetsomething Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsomething Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 11

Here is my first attempt at a wedding cake. I tried to keep it simple and everything went fine until I got to the reception place and after I stacked the tiers, I put the topper on and had trouble from there. The topper was long and did not have a good base. So I pushed on it a little thinking that would help it stand. Well the fondant started cracking right away. I had some buttercream and filled in the cracks and tried to stop what I knew was coming. Eventually the whole back side of the top tier fell off. I rushed out to a local grocery store and purchased several 5" rounds and had them put white buttercream on them for me. I took them back and put some decorations on it and put it on the cake after I took off the original one. No one ever knew the difference, but me.
LL

10 replies
rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 8:54pm
post #2 of 11

The picture's so small I can't see anyhting. But it looks nice to me.

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 9:05pm
post #3 of 11

That looks like the same topper that my DIL used. It was big and heavy! The cake I made was all buttercream, but I don't think that helped much.

Rosa2745 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosa2745 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 9:31pm
post #4 of 11

nice save thumbs_up.gif

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 11:05pm
post #5 of 11

Sorry for the trouble, but great that you could save it!

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 11:23pm
post #6 of 11

I've never made such a cake, but from what I've read, if you put on a heavy topper, you must put supports just like you would put under another tier.

ETA: the cake looks beautiful, and great that you could think under stress to save it llike that!

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 11:59pm
post #7 of 11

This is the same topper DH and I used....I knew nothing about caking then when I choose it....luckily we had no disaster with the cake...Maybe our cake lady put a support under it. (We did loose our marriage license though and spent most of the reception hunting it down.... icon_sad.gif

turtlemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turtlemom Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 12:05am
post #8 of 11

NICE SAVE!! That is the way to think!! I have had trouble with toppers before too so I use the same support system on them as I do on my cake layers, cardboard and dowel rods underneath the topper. dont let this get you down!! Keep on cakin'!!!

sweetsomething Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsomething Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 4:00pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks everyone for the positive comments. I learned some valuable lessons from this experience. When I replaced the top tier, I did put a small circle of cardboard on top and covered it with white buttercream before I put the topper back on. It held up nicely the rest of the night. By the way, the topper was purchased by the bride so I felt obligated to use it. Not a very good one either.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 10:33pm
post #10 of 11

Great thinking under pressure. Congrats to you and you cake looks lovely.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 2:07pm
post #11 of 11

Good SAVE!!!

Never push a top into the cake.... if that is the top I think it is.... I put just a few straws under it for support. That usually does the trick with any heavy toppers.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%