How Do You Mix Color Into A Large Amount Of Fondant?

Decorating By kjskid Updated 12 Nov 2009 , 7:00pm by kjskid

kjskid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjskid Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 10

This is the first time I've had to mix a large amount of fondant (for a 3-tier cake). I know it will take a while to get the color just right, and I don't want to hand-knead the fondant for hours while I adjust the color. Can I use my kitchen-aid with the dough hook? What do you do?

9 replies
mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 10

I make MMF and mix the color into the melted marshmallows before I add in the PS.

If you already have it made I would suggest putting it in the microwave for about 15 seconds to soften it up and make it easier to knead. Then, flatten it out on the counter, add your color and rub it all over the surface, then just fold it up so the color is on the inside and start kneading.

You may have to let it sit over night to firm back up, and if you use too much color you could change to consistency of your fondant.

Hope that helps.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 8:22pm
post #3 of 10

I had to color a large amount this weekend and I divided it into sections and kneaded color in...then kneaded all the sections together.

Sometimes if I need alot of dark color I just buy the precolored Satin Ice, especially in red, black, or dark brown.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 9:31pm
post #4 of 10

i agree with Kitagrl on all counts!
pre coloured - yes!
but if i am doing it my self, it is much, much easier to do small bits at a time, then start mixing those bits together.
xx

Mike_Elder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike_Elder Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 10:52pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by brincess_b

pre coloured - yes!
but if i am doing it my self, it is much, much easier to do small bits at a time, then start mixing those bits together.
xx

Ditto.. I have mixed over 30 lbs of color before always smaller batches then mix the whole together. couldn't imagine a mixer doing it?
Mike

Mike_Elder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike_Elder Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 10:53pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by brincess_b

pre coloured - yes!
xx

Ditto.. I have mixed over 30 lbs of color before always smaller batches then mix the whole together. couldn't imagine a mixer doing it?
Mike

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 11:15pm
post #7 of 10

1) divide and conquer -- break fondant into at least 4 batches.

2) as closely as possible, add same amount of color to each batch.

3) knead in the color -- but here's my easy peasy trick that is easy on the hands.

roll the batch out into a LONG rope ..... dot the color all along the rope.

fold rope back in on itself in thirds (like folding a towel)

twist so it looks like a braided rope.

roll back out to original length --

repeat the fold in / twist / roll out at least 7 to 10 times or until color looks even.

do for all four batches.

now mix the batches -- divide each in half
(so you have 2 - halves of batch A, 2 of B, 2 of C, 2 of D)

mix so have:

AB / BC / CD / AD

now divide those in half and mix

AB w/ CD and BC with AD

that will give you four batches of ABCD mixed together.

now just take any two and combine.
do the other two

then combine the final two.

as mixed as mixed can get.

CakeGenie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeGenie1 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 11:31pm
post #8 of 10

Wow Doug, after reading your reply, I looked just like your avatar icon_lol.gif

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 4:51pm
post #9 of 10

i would go with pre colored for sure or, I know it's expensive, airbrush the finished cake. I am in love with my airbrush.

kjskid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjskid Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 7:00pm
post #10 of 10

Well, I didn't have precolored and I wanted to try my mixer, so I did. I'm kinda surprised no one (at least no one who read this thread) has tried it before. I haven't tried rolling it out yet, but it was great not to have to mix the color by hand. It did still take a while, but I didn't end up with aching hands. I especially wanted to try it because I was mixing colors, and I knew it would take a while to get the color just right.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%