Topper On Edge Of Cake

Decorating By Jaeger Updated 15 Nov 2009 , 1:16pm by Jaeger

Jaeger Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 17

Has anyone had any luck with these toppers designed to perch on the edge of the cake? I've heard some scary disaster and near disaster stories. I had hoped that some royal icing would hold it in place on a fondant-covered square cake but maybe I need a plan B? icon_confused.gif

Any and all advice appreciated! icon_smile.gif

16 replies
Jaeger Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 6:57pm
post #2 of 17

Just wanted to add that I have no idea how that second blurry picture of the topper got added - it's not my photo! icon_eek.gificon_confused.gif

khoudek Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 7:00pm
post #3 of 17

I would think a little royal icing on their bums would do the trick. Just hold it in place till it sets up. I'd do it at the venue too.

__Jamie__ Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 7:02pm
post #4 of 17

I had to put the sitting couple on a square stacked cake the other day. It actually was cute, peeking out around all the flowers. Cake was fondant covered with good sharp edges for a nice "perch" for their butts. I did put a dab of RI on for security. And added it on at the end once it was in place on the cake table. I don't know why it would be scary. There is plenty of room to work with, as far as how far out their legs stick versus how far back their butts sit. Make sure your cake is flat and smooth and level, and you wouldn't even need RI.

Kitagrl Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 7:03pm
post #5 of 17

I put royal on their bottoms and also on the legs touching the front of the cake. I do it the night before and then it has all night and half the next day to set before delivery.

Loucinda Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 7:05pm
post #6 of 17

No royal icing won't hold them....I did one a couple of months ago. That thing was HEAVY and it was not balanced correctly. I HATED it. I didn't even get a pic of the side with the thing on it, I took a pic of the BACK of the cake (and I am hoping the photographer did too) I had to put dowels in the cake under where it was going to set - and watch the feet - they like to dig into the cake when you are putting it on. icon_mad.gif NOT a fan of them at all.

The one I had was made of ceramic and their legs went backwards some - there is NO way it would have set on the edge of a cake and stayed without support.

Jaeger Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 7:06pm
post #7 of 17

What a relief! I thought it would be OK with royal underneath and maybe even a bit on the back of their legs but read a few stories on other forums where the couple fell off the cake at one point. I'm glad to hear that it's been used successfully! thumbs_up.gif

Thanks very much for the replies!!

Loucinda Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 7:09pm
post #8 of 17

See my post above - it really depends on which one you have! (the one I did worked out fine, but it needed the supports in there - it was just a pain to do IMO)

Kitagrl Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 7:11pm
post #9 of 17

I guess I was referring to the gumpaste ones we make ourselves....but then I guess they fit the side of the cake better than the ready made ones? I would think the ready made ones would be lighter weight though...?

I've done the baby shower cupcake towers where I made a figure perch on the side of the topper cake and the royal holds them great all through delivery and everything.

__Jamie__ Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 7:13pm
post #10 of 17

I take it back, I didn't use anything to glue them down with, I realized it wasn't necessary. icon_smile.gif You can though.

DianeLM Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 7:15pm
post #11 of 17

For added stability, you could insert a long skewer into the cake under their feet. Or maybe even a popsicle stick if the feet would cover it.

Loucinda Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 7:15pm
post #12 of 17

_jaime_ - was the one you used ceramic or plastic?

The one I did was on a buttercream cake too, not fondant. Maybe that makes a difference? (and it was a ceramic one - HEAVY)

__Jamie__ Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 7:17pm
post #13 of 17

It was was heavy, but the way it is constructed, it balances perfectly. There's no way it woulda toppled unless the cake was tipped on it's side. icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 7:23pm
post #14 of 17

I don't know where the bride got the topper she used, it wasn't like the ones you have posted pics of (both OP and _jaime_) It was not balanced - and the feet were made wrong - if you set it where it was supposed to be, the grooms feet dug into the side of the cake. Leave it to me to have the screwed up one for the cake I do. icon_confused.gif

Jaeger Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 7:28pm
post #15 of 17

The topper I'm using is the same one shown in Jamie's picture. Sounds like it shouldn't be a problem (fingers crossed). I think I'll add a bit of royal to hold it in place just for peace of mind. Thanks again, everyone!

__Jamie__ Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 7:38pm
post #16 of 17

I would if you don't trust it. And, I wouldn't put it on until after you deliver it.

Jaeger Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 1:16pm
post #17 of 17

Just want to say thanks to everyone for their comments and advice! It wasn't nearly as nerve-wracking as I expected. The couple sat nicely on the edge of the cake with the help of just a bit of royal icing. Here they are... icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%