How To Do Plaid Look

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 8 Dec 2009 , 9:36am by gscout73

cakesrock Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 16

Any idea how I could achieve this plaid look on the skateboard? Paint on fondant? Use a ruler to get lines straight?
TIA! icon_biggrin.gif

15 replies
cakesrock Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 1:29pm
post #2 of 16

Didn't get any responses, so I thought, I'd give it another go...
TIA icon_biggrin.gif

millermom Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 1:45pm
post #3 of 16

I'm not sure, but I would probably do the bear in fondant pieces/cutouts and then paint the plaid on in watered down colors

Shades Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 1:53pm
post #4 of 16

I like what your trying to achieve it seems like fun! This looks really tough, and I've have not even tried to do plaid. But here are some ideas.Cover any baked and cooled cake with a smooth layer of fondant. Hold a thick- or thin-stripe stencil over the cake and spray with a mist of cake coloring spray. Have fun and hope it turns out great!!!

cakeandpartygirl Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 2:01pm
post #5 of 16

I am thinking that you use a black edible ink pen and of course use a ruler to get them straight but I would think that the fondant would have to set up first so that the pen wouldn't dig in the fondant.

cakesrock Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 2:40pm
post #6 of 16

Thanks so much for the ideas! I never thought about the edible marker and spraying a stencil. I love this website! icon_biggrin.gif

snarkybaker Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 1:57am
post #8 of 16

You could also easily iron on a plaid chocolate transfer sheet. It's nice because you can stiil smooth the fondant. has several different plaids.

grandmaruth Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:25am
post #9 of 16
Originally Posted by snarkybaker

You could also easily iron on a plaid chocolate transfer sheet. It's nice because you can stiil smooth the fondant. has several different plaids.

Please tell me more about ironing on a plaid chocolate transfer sheet icon_confused.gif

sheilabelle Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:43am
post #10 of 16

What about using an edible image?

SugarFrosted Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:06am
post #11 of 16

I've done a couple of plaid cakes. Both were piped buttercream, with the lower levels of lines smoothed gently with a Viva paper towel. It's not difficult to do, but looking back at these now, they could have been neater. But here they are as an example:

ChucKles Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:09am
post #12 of 16

Aine2 has a how to video on her website. i will try posting the link, it is just after making a tiara....

cakesrock Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 5:37am
post #13 of 16

I tried to get a chocolate transfer but it would have cost $60 because I'm in Canada. So, I went with the edible image. I also used the edible marker idea to do the plaid on the panda- turned out well. Thanks for all the great suggestions!Here's the finished product... icon_smile.gif

JGMB Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 2:58pm
post #14 of 16

It turned out great!!!! icon_smile.gif

cakeandpartygirl Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 4:38pm
post #15 of 16

It looks really really nice, I think it's great!!! In fact I am adding it to my favorites.

gscout73 Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 9:36am
post #16 of 16

Great representation!! I also was thinking edible immage. That way you were not limited to the preprinted plaid selection or the costs. Congrats!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%