How To Make An "ocean" On A Cake Board Using Liqui

Decorating By cakedulce Updated 12 Nov 2009 , 4:09pm by Lyndseyb52

cakedulce Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 11

I am making a hawaiian theme cake with a waterfall coming down all three tiers. I want to get a big board to put the cake on and decorate the cake board to make it look like water surrounded by the beach. Ive seen it done where the board is carved in and then they pour liquid sugar (i think) in the board to make it look like water. How do I do this and what exactly is used to make the liquid sugar? Thanks for the help!

10 replies
weirkd Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 6:18pm
post #2 of 11

You can use isomalt which is a sugar substitute and color it blue/green color. You want to boil it with 80% isomalt to 10% sugar and bring it to 350 degrees. Then you can pour it into the area and if you get any air bubble, use a small butane blow torch to get rid of them with. Then you can go over it with some white icing to make white caps if you want, after its set. If you dont want to do that you can use piping gel that is colored blue also. But it will not get hard.

cakedulce Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 1:47am
post #3 of 11

great! Thanks for ur help!

weirkd Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 2:04am
post #4 of 11

No problem! Glad I could help! icon_smile.gif

awestervelt Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 2:25am
post #5 of 11

I used piping gel on my cruise ship cake and it worked great. It was a little sticky but it didn't move off of the board. I have it in my pictures if you would like to take a look. It was really easy. I used 2 containers to cover the board and had a little bit left over.

Price Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 2:32am
post #6 of 11

I did a penguin cake and decorated the board to look like ice with snow around the edge. To do that I covered my board in blue fondant and painted it with confectioners glaze to give it shine. Used royal icing for the snow. You could do something similar and use white royal icing to make it look like waves.

cakedulce Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 4:53am
post #7 of 11

Great cakes guys!!! So where can I buy isomalt? And what is confectioners glaze exactly? Thanks new at this so not too familiar with some of these terms!!!

wrightway777 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 7:58am
post #8 of 11

you can do the aluminum foil under the poured sugar technique. It makes it look really good.

Confectioners glaze - food grade shellac basically. Makes stuff shiny. Also used as a sealing liquid for candies or gingerbread houses. A perfect use is to make red gumpaste fondant berries shiny.

you can buy it online. CK Products makes it. Do a search on this site (take out spaces)
http://www. shop bakers

Or try to make it - heres a most awesome recipe:

buy isomalt (sign up for free mold techniques too):
(check this site out to for mold making and the cool lace mold tutorial)

Or you can check this isomalt product out:

source to get you started with using isomalt:


weirkd Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 1:51pm
post #9 of 11

Isomalt is a sugar substitute and confectionary glaze is a "dip" for making things shiny or semi shiney if you cut it with thinner. There are a few places that you can buy them at. I bought my confectionary glaze at Jen Dontz's website. She has it for $7 which is pretty cheap!
My isomalt I got at make your own molds because I was also purchasing silicone plastique to make a mold with.

wrightway777 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 1:26pm
post #10 of 11

looks like my previous post is finally showing the comment - yea! check it out on where to buy and other great info.

Lyndseyb52 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:09pm
post #11 of 11

I've just finished a swimming pool on a cake and wanted it to taste nice, not just look like liquid.

In the end I used grapefruit jam coloured with food colour, it looked really good when I'd finished.

Lyndsey xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%