Did I Bite Off More Than I Can Chew??

Decorating By kaddikakes Updated 11 Nov 2009 , 5:44pm by kaddikakes

kaddikakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaddikakes Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 5:37pm
post #1 of 10

I made the turkey cupcakes for work on Monday (they were a big hit) and now I got a "paid" order for four dozen for next weekend. Also that weekend our church is having an auction to raise money for missionaries and I was asked to make a cake for that! Also, I have to make my cake for my last class of Wilton Course II. How am I going to do all of that in just one weekend, two days??? Thanks for listening.

9 replies
2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 5:51pm
post #2 of 10

Does your design for class fit in with the missions cake? That would help if you could figure that out.

live2create Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
live2create Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 5:58pm
post #3 of 10

Not to sound mean at all but you just buckle down and get it done. Most of these ladies on here have jobs besides doing cakes. I myself I work an 8hr job, go home and milk about 60 head of cows, get in the house and run my own cake bussiness and juggle two kids is school and all of the things they are in. Right now I am a little stressed, but I know what has to be done in order for everything to run smooth. If you find it is to much just say no to the paid order, and do what you feel you can get done. Many of these ladies spend hours and many late nights completing orders.
Like I said I really do mpt want to sound mean at all. But actually it sounds like an easy weekend for me. Chin up you will get all of it done. icon_twisted.gif

cagirlygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cagirlygirl Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 6:07pm
post #4 of 10

Great idea combining the church cake and the Wilton class cake! If you can't do that, how 'bout doing something simple and fun for the church part -- maybe a candy barrel cake? They go together quickly and don't require a whole lot of detail.

Good luck!

kaddikakes Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 6:12pm
post #5 of 10

live2create . . . that's not mean at all. You're absolutely right. If I want to do this then I just need to get organized and keep on a time plan to get it all done and quit my whining icon_surprised.gif0. Thank you so much for you input. I also work full time, take care of the house, husband and new kitten. So yeah a little stressed also. Thanks again.

live2create Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
live2create Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 6:20pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks, I know you can do it and I like the others ideas of your course cake used for the church, great thought. Two birds one stone icon_biggrin.gif

hensor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hensor Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 6:21pm
post #7 of 10

Do as much as you can in advance. Make your icing a few days ahead so you have it all ready to go. Bake your cakes and freeze them if you have to.

threeforhim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
threeforhim Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 6:34pm
post #8 of 10

I bake a lot on the weekends when a cake isn't 'due' until the end of that following week. I also will use up extra batter and back rounds to freeze so when I do find myself in a pinch I might already have something baked. I found 3- 8 inch rounds in there last night. Actually, I didn't know they were there, though I'd used them all. It was a nice surprise. I will make fondant one day of the week and icing another, not planning on icing/decorating until Friday night and Saturday. Last night I worked in the kitchen (including clean up) until 11:00 p.m. after working a full day and working out, too. I know that isn't that late, but I was on my feet the whole time. It's just like that sometimes. icon_rolleyes.gif

I have found myself in a pinch before where I had 3 big cakes in one week. It was very stressful with my full time job, family and church. I decided after that I would do no more than two unless there was a simple cake in there that was little to no stress. Live and learn, right? Everyone is different and what works for one doesn't work for another. I can't stay up late much but I can get up extra early.

You can do it! icon_smile.gif

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 6:45pm
post #9 of 10

I had 5 cakes due this past Saturday. Granted, 3 of them were only 6", but with a little bit of planning, you can knock everything out really quick. I made all my fondant and BC on Wednesday, baked/torted/filled Thursday, and did the decorating Friday, so everything was ready Saturday morning.

Good luck!

kaddikakes Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 5:44pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you all for the encouragement. I'm going to bake my cakes this weekend, and probably make my icing during the week. Since my fridge isn't big enough I will have to wait until next Saturday to do the cupcakes (they wouldn't fit). This site is so great. Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%